Post by Gena1480 »

we forgot the basics
i take refuge in Sangha
i pay homage to Venerable Ajahn Brahm
he is worthy of gifts.
Mr Man

Re: Ajahn Brahm for sale?

Post by Mr Man »

marc108 wrote:we look at a website and explode in anger and judgement?
Hyperbole?
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Mr Man wrote:
Hyperbole?
i hope so lol Image
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

marc108 wrote:
Mr Man wrote:
Hyperbole?
i hope so lol Image
:D
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Billymac29 wrote:I dont see much difference between this and paying for a meditation retreat at a monastery... Many monasteries have dana bowls or collectors where the money goes to help support the monastery... The lay people in the community usually handle the money that deal with monetary needs of the monastery.. Monasteries offer dhamma talks, meditation instruction, and question and answer with teacher...

Don't see the difference and why this is such a big deal for people. Although the title "Ajahn Brahm for Sale" leaves much to be desired..

may all be well
:anjali:
the difference is, the money goes to the monastery or retreat for the monastery or the retreat for nothing in return you give because you want to not because you are expected too. you could go to a retreat (as some do) and pay nothing. yet here you are getting a trade, a person for 7 day for your money, all at a nominal participation fee of $450.
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

One reason I wouldn't want to ordain as a Theravada monk is the attitude of the lay - pampered on one hand and constantly judged on the other...

Didn't the Buddha stay at his benefactor's places (palaces)? Didn't Ajahn Chah regularly receive his wealthy patrons?

I think rather than judging Ajahn Brahm, it would be far more beneficial to put this judgmental mind under scrutiny. Or at least pause, take a breath and examine.
_/|\_
marc108

Post by marc108 »

Dan74 wrote:I think rather than judging Ajahn Brahm, it would be far more beneficial to put this judgmental mind under scrutiny.
"It's easy for us to connect with what's wrong with us... and not so easy to feel into, or to allow us, to connect with what's right and what's good in us."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cittasanto wrote:
Billymac29 wrote:I dont see much difference between this and paying for a meditation retreat at a monastery... Many monasteries have dana bowls or collectors where the money goes to help support the monastery... The lay people in the community usually handle the money that deal with monetary needs of the monastery.. Monasteries offer dhamma talks, meditation instruction, and question and answer with teacher...

Don't see the difference and why this is such a big deal for people. Although the title "Ajahn Brahm for Sale" leaves much to be desired..

may all be well
the difference is, the money goes to the monastery or retreat for the monastery or the retreat for nothing in return you give because you want to not because you are expected too. you could go to a retreat (as some do) and pay nothing. yet here you are getting a trade, a person for 7 day for your money, all at a nominal participation fee of $450.
If you do not like it, do not participate. No one is holding a gun to anyone here -- or there -- demanding that they give, that they participate.

But: Oh, the inhumanity of it all. Naughty Ven B. Shame, shame, shame and more shame, scandlaizing us dour Buddhists with levity. Heavens to betsy, what are we to do? Maybe get over it, let it go, move on, tend to our own business, look within.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

tiltbillings wrote:
Cittasanto wrote:

may all be well
If you do not like it, do not participate. No one is holding a gun to anyone here -- or there -- demanding that they give, that they participate.

But: Oh, the inhumanity of it all. Naughty Ven B. Shame, shame, shame and more shame, scandlaizing us dour Buddhists with levity. Heavens to betsy, what are we to do? Maybe get over it, let it go, move on, tend to our own business, look within.
and it is a shame you are reading so much into my posts tilt.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Cittasanto wrote: and it is a shame you are reading so much into my posts tilt.
Actually, your posts is not always that easy to read, and I do my best to read them as they are written. So, then, if I misread your post, what is your point?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Cittasanto wrote:

may all be well
This money us going towards the nunnery... Like I said I don't see any difference
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
Cittasanto

Post by Cittasanto »

Billymac29 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: the difference is, the money goes to the monastery or retreat for the monastery or the retreat for nothing in return you give because you want to not because you are expected too. you could go to a retreat (as some do) and pay nothing. yet here you are getting a trade, a person for 7 day for your money, all at a nominal participation fee of $450.
This money us going towards the nunnery... Like I said I don't see any difference
you missed an important clause which has now been underlined.

John Stuart Mill
badscooter

Post by badscooter »

Cittasanto wrote:
Billymac29 wrote:
Cittasanto wrote: the difference is, the money goes to the monastery or retreat for the monastery or the retreat for nothing in return you give because you want to not because you are expected too. you could go to a retreat (as some do) and pay nothing. yet here you are getting a trade, a person for 7 day for your money, all at a nominal participation fee of $450.
you missed an important clause which has now been underlined.

that was not missed.. I understood and still felt the same way.. One need not participate if one chooses not to... One need not "bid" if one does not want to.. You bid because you want to, not because you have to :)

When all is said and done ajahn's dhamma teachings are still available free of charge at his facility and on the web

;)

May all be well
"whatever one frequently thinks and ponders upon will be the inclination of one's mind"
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

I can't believe the bunch of sour faced prudes we have here. Ajahn Brahm spends weeks every year teaching and holding retreats at various Buddhist organisations in Singapore, Malaysia, and indonesia, all without charging a single cent. Many of these organisations will collect donations from participants. In this way, some of these organisations raise a little funds to maintain themselves.

Many organisations would love for an opportunity to donate back to Ajahn's monasteries. I see this "Ajahn Brahm for Sale" event as a humorous and innovative way to encourage dana (which is typical of him) and I'm quite sure many organisations would put in their bids, even knowing well they can get him for free in the following week or month.
plwk

Post by plwk »