That standard definition of 'wrong view'

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
manas

That standard definition of 'wrong view'

Postby manas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:59 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

polarbear101

Re: That standard definition of 'wrong view'

Postby polarbear101 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:30 pm

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

manas

Postby manas » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:32 pm

Then the Blessed One, picking up a tiny bit of dust with the tip of his fingernail, said to the monk, "There isn't even this much form...feeling...
perception...fabrications...consciousness that is constant, lasting, eternal, not subject to change, that will stay just as it is as long as eternity."

equilibrium

Postby equilibrium » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 am

polarbear101

Postby polarbear101 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 am

"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."

santa100

Postby santa100 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:15 am

manas

Postby manas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. I am happy now with the explanation that it is an idiomatic thing to do with Pali. I can accept Ven. Thanissaro and Ven. Bodhi's explanations, they cover it adequately.

Problem solved! :anjali:

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”