Energy(?) in the Temple

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby steve19800 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:16 am

Hello again guys,

One quick question.
I'm wondering what makes you feel uplifted and recharged when you are in the temple (I'm talking about Buddhist temple)?
But do you notice that not all temples have that quality? Why is this so? Is that because some temples are set up differently than the other or is there any other causes? Thanks.
Last edited by steve19800 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Energy in the Temple

Postby daverupa » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:02 am

I find uplifted energy when it is silent, when there is solitude.

:buddha1: :candle: :meditate:

Perhaps these things are present at those times you speak of.
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
User avatar
daverupa
 
Posts: 3714
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Re: Energy in the Temple

Postby steve19800 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:13 pm

daverupa wrote:I find uplifted energy when it is silent, when there is solitude.

:buddha1: :candle: :meditate:

Perhaps these things are present at those times you speak of.


Yes maybe those things are present when you are silent. But I don't know if it is the energy or what but you don't have to be silent and solitude in the temple but as I said not all temple or monastery like that. You feel that your problem or your burden is lighter or decreasing, I know it's strange or is it not? Anyone has similar experience? I'm just wondering what makes a place has this kind of quality, very peaceful and serene. Definitely not because of the fish pond or the nice music :D
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby SarathW » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:44 pm

Is that the mental preparation. When you go to a temple you are already pre programme your mind to be serine.
What you are experiencing is your inner thoughts not the material things around you.
However I see your point. I see my home shrine room is different to a temple.
I feel calm when I go to a temple than at home! Mind and matter are interdependent so there could be other explanations.
It is a good question anyway. :)
SarathW
 
Posts: 1315
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby pilgrim » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:08 am

I believe it is psychological. Energy is a misused word. In its proper sense, energy can be measured and converted to other forms.
User avatar
pilgrim
 
Posts: 874
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby ground » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:04 am

Compare with the enery at different places at different times. You may find even higher energies at places you did not expect. :sage:
User avatar
ground
 
Posts: 2592
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:01 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby Timpan » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 am

I feel just the same as you do when i go to the temple here i Thailand that we use to go to. I have been to other temples and just like you say some feels better than others with lots of energy, why this is so i can only speculate in.
User avatar
Timpan
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:04 am
Location: sweden

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby chris98e » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 pm

steve19800 wrote:Hello again guys,

One quick question.
I'm wondering what makes you feel uplifted and recharged when you are in the temple (I'm talking about Buddhist temple)?
But do you notice that not all temples have that quality? Why is this so? Is that because some temples are set up differently than the other or is there any other causes? Thanks.


I feel the same to every Temple I go to of course in a good way. :buddha1:
chris98e
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:52 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby steve19800 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:39 pm

Timpan wrote:I feel just the same as you do when i go to the temple here i Thailand that we use to go to. I have been to other temples and just like you say some feels better than others with lots of energy, why this is so i can only speculate in.


Maybe because of the presence of the relic, other sacred object or the practice?
But this is worth knowing as this positive atmosphere brings well-being to the people although temporarily.
Edit: I once asked the monk, according to him it depends on the set-up of the temple. Some for worship purpose and some for meditation purpose. That is basically his answer. But in fact not all temple either for meditation or worship purpose have this serene vibration.
Last edited by steve19800 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby steve19800 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm

pilgrim wrote:I believe it is psychological. Energy is a misused word. In its proper sense, energy can be measured and converted to other forms.


I am afraid it is not psychological, as you did not have any prejudice or preconception whatsoever before you visit the place.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby Kim OHara » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:02 am

steve19800 wrote:
pilgrim wrote:I believe it is psychological. Energy is a misused word. In its proper sense, energy can be measured and converted to other forms.


I am afraid it is not psychological, as you did not have any prejudice or preconception whatsoever before you visit the place.

Absence of preconceptions doesn't mean the feeling can't be psychological, since we take in the important aspects of any new place very quickly ... walk through the door, glance around and bang! "I like this place," or "This place scares me," or "This place feels fake," etc.
It's not so surprising that we can do that super-quick assessment when you think what a valuable survival skill it has always been. Why we respond that way comes after the response, if it ever comes at all, because it's not so significant.

That said, I have an open mind on the "energy" thing. I know there is no scientific support for it, but neither can science prove there is no such thing. Meanwhile, there is something I have felt in various places that I call "energy" for want of a better word. :shrug:

:namaste:
Kim
User avatar
Kim OHara
 
Posts: 2897
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby Goofaholix » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:27 am

It's just one's perception of the experience coloured by pleasant, unpleasant, and neutral feeling just like anything else one experiences.

Someone might find temple A more uplifting, somebody else temple B, the temple hasn't changed the person perceiving it has.
"Whenever we feel that we are definitely right, so much so that we refuse to open up to anything or anybody else, right there we are wrong. It becomes wrong view. When suffering arises, where does it arise from? The cause is wrong view, the fruit of that being suffering. If it was right view it wouldn't cause suffering." - Ajahn Chah
"Remember you dont meditate to get anything, but to get rid of things. We do it, not with desire, but with letting go. If you want anything, you wont find it." - Ajahn Chah
User avatar
Goofaholix
 
Posts: 1719
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:49 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby steve19800 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:54 am

Goofaholix wrote:It's just one's perception of the experience coloured by pleasant, unpleasant, and neutral feeling just like anything else one experiences.

Someone might find temple A more uplifting, somebody else temple B, the temple hasn't changed the person perceiving it has.


But how about if many people say that?
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby steve19800 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:10 am

Kim O'Hara wrote:
steve19800 wrote:
pilgrim wrote:I believe it is psychological. Energy is a misused word. In its proper sense, energy can be measured and converted to other forms.


I am afraid it is not psychological, as you did not have any prejudice or preconception whatsoever before you visit the place.


Absence of preconceptions doesn't mean the feeling can't be psychological, since we take in the important aspects of any new place very quickly ... walk through the door, glance around and bang! "I like this place," or "This place scares me," or "This place feels fake," etc.
It's not so surprising that we can do that super-quick assessment when you think what a valuable survival skill it has always been. Why we respond that way comes after the response, if it ever comes at all, because it's not so significant.

That said, I have an open mind on the "energy" thing. I know there is no scientific support for it, but neither can science prove there is no such thing. Meanwhile, there is something I have felt in various places that I call "energy" for want of a better word. :shrug:

:namaste:
Kim


Of course everything is psychological whether preconceptions or not, cause it is part of our emotions interconnected through our senses. When you stepped in, "I like this place" or "So comfortable", those statement is what I mean by self-suggesting.
What I meant by uplifting is when you have say problems, problems that you believe that can't be solved by only go and sit in a place but obviously you feel recharged afterwards, you feel kind of lighter and easier with your problems. You visit again next time and you feel the same. Some of your burden may be gone, some still there but again you feel lighter.
steve19800
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:20 am

Re: Energy(?) in the Temple

Postby Mr Man » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:18 am

Hi there
This link was posted on another thread: http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4778617 ... 7-meg?da=y
In the document there are the following quotes from Goenkaji:

"You will find wonderful Dhamma vibrations all over Myanmar, but the holy places you are going to visit will have even stronger Dhamma vibrations. May you meditate there and get inspiration to walk further on the path of Dhamma."

“The vibrations of the wonderful Shwedagon Pagoda, with the relics of the Enlightened One within, not only help this country but also all humankind. Those who pay respects there by offering flowers etc. are benefited by the vibrations, gain inspiration to keep walking on the Path of Dhamma, and receive merits because of their devotion; those who meditate there receive limitless merits. Now hundreds of you on pilgrimage to this revered land will meditate on the platform of Shwedagon and realize what a wonderful sacred place it is.”
User avatar
Mr Man
 
Posts: 1051
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am


Return to General Theravāda discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: David N. Snyder, fivebells and 12 guests