Hello all,

I found this article in Tricycle surprising and interesting:

Whose Buddhism is the truest?

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-buddhism-truest

With metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Kim OHara

Re: Whose Buddhism is the truest?

Post by Kim OHara »

Hi, Chris,
A good article, but I have seen it via DW before ... haven't got time just now to look for the older thread, however.

:namaste:
Kim

P.S. see also http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 61#p243767
:coffee:
Kim
Last edited by Kim OHara on Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

cooran wrote:Hello all,

I found this article in Tricycle surprising and interesting:

Whose Buddhism is the truest?

http://www.tricycle.com/feature/whose-buddhism-truest

With metta
Chris
This has already been looked at. I'll see if I can find the thread.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Nyana

Post by Nyana »

It was discussed in this thread: Mahayana split.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

"Harrison agrees with the general scholarly consensus that the Mahayana developed after the Buddha"

That's all I needed to know ~ thanks.

:buddha1:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
plwk

Post by plwk »

I can't help but to think that IF the Mahasamghikas and Sarvastivadins were still around, they would have given Theravada a run for the money... lol
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Ñāṇa wrote:It was discussed in this thread: Mahayana split.
Thanks for finding it.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Kare

Post by Kare »

plwk wrote:I can't help but to think that IF the Mahasamghikas and Sarvastivadins were still around, they would have given Theravada a run for the money... lol
Not to mention the Sammitiyas (Puggalavadins).
Mettāya,
Kåre
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

I am all for the school that thought the Buddha's poop smelled like sandalwood.

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

tiltbillings wrote:I am all for the school that thought the Buddha's poop smelled like sandalwood.

Reminds me of the Catholic Eucharist, for some reason...
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Rasko

Post by Rasko »

Traces of Gandhāran Buddhism: An Exhibition of Buddhist Manuscripts in the Schøyen Collection
Jens Braarvig and Fredrik Liland
With contributions by: Jens-Uwe Hartmann, Kazunobu Matsuda, Richard Salomon, Lore Sander
http://www.indologie.uni-muenchen.de/do ... alogue.pdf
alan

Post by alan »

I no longer waste time with that Tricycle, which seems to have ulterior motives.

This article is a good example of what they often present as research. Lots of words which sound impressive, a few true facts intermingled with an assumed conclusion. Nothing was proven, but the feel of authenticity lingers. As usual, we are lead to believe Buddhism is just a free-floating thing that no one can really get. Or maybe we all can, just tune in next month. Besides, who wants to waste time actually studying?

Oh, and buy our magazine.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Whose Buddhism is truest?

"Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards';[1] 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."

SN 56.9
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Whatever buddhism when adopted and undertaken leads to the total abandoning of passion, aversion, and delusion is the truest.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
manas

Post by manas »

binocular wrote:Whose Buddhism is truest?

"Monks, do not wage wordy warfare, saying: 'You don't understand this Dhamma and discipline, I understand this Dhamma and discipline'; 'How could you understand it? You have fallen into wrong practices: I have the right practice'; 'You have said afterwards what you should have said first, and you have said first what you should have said afterwards';[1] 'What I say is consistent, what you say isn't'; 'What you have thought out for so long is entirely reversed'; 'Your statement is refuted'; 'You are talking rubbish!'; 'You are in the wrong'; 'Get out of that if you can!'

"Why should you not do this? Such talk, monks, is not related to the goal, it is not fundamental to the holy life, does not conduce to disenchantment, dispassion, cessation, tranquillity, higher knowledge, enlightenment or to Nibbana. When you have discussions, monks, you should discuss Suffering, the Arising of Suffering, its Cessation, and the Path that leads to its Cessation. Why is that? Because such talk is related to the goal... it conduces to disenchantment... to Nibbana. This is the task you must accomplish."

SN 56.9
:goodpost:

good.point,binocular.
but.not.easy.to.always.practice
although.we.ought.to

metta
:anjali:
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.