if you could ask the Buddha one question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Mawkish1983

Re: if you could ask the Buddha one question

Post by Mawkish1983 »

:focus: I'd probably ask him "Am I practicing right". That's often my primary concern. I often feel drawn to the pretty colours, fun music and mind-bending philosophy of some Hindu sects, only to reflect on why I was drawn to them and to come back to the Buddhadhamma (as best as I understand it presently). It would be really nice for the Buddha to either say "Yes, you are practicing well, keep going" or "No, you are cultivating wrong-view [or whatever], try this instead...".

I suppose with the absence of the Buddha as a person I'll have to keep pestering you lot :)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Gawd almighty, its a joke, son, a joke. Time for you to give it a rest. You toot a one note horn, and its gone a bit flat.

Oh sorry tilt :embarassed:

Damm internet. hard to tell if people are joking or not lol

metta :)
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
vitellius

Post by vitellius »

"How should I practice?"
Ben

Post by Ben »

Hi Mawk
Mawkish1983 wrote:I suppose with the absence of the Buddha as a person I'll have to keep pestering you lot :)
Please don't forget that in the absence of the Buddha, you still have access to the Tipitaka, the vast commentarial literature as well as the works of modern day scholars and the efforts of our teachers and Dhamma friends. Everyone has worked tirelessly, not only for their own liberation, but also to preserve the Dhamma and expound it for the benefit of future and present generations.
Remember the words of the master:
"Enough, Vakkali! What is there to see in this vile body? He who sees Dhamma, Vakkali, sees me; he who sees me sees Dhamma. Truly seeing Dhamma, one sees me; seeing me one sees Dhamma."

— SN 22.87
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
rowyourboat

Post by rowyourboat »

I would ask 'what do I do now?'
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha
imagemarie

Post by imagemarie »

Er..I'd hold up a flower. Am I on the wrong forum ? :jumping:
Spiny O'Norman

Post by Spiny O'Norman »

If I get enlightened in this lifetime, what happens when I die?

Rick

( alright, so it's a big "if"! :jumping: )
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

The truth is a person so attached to their views would, when confronted by the Buddha himself, sooner question whether that was really the Buddha than change their views.

"You didn't give me the answer I wanted. How do I know you are really the Buddha?"
- Peter

Be heedful and you will accomplish your goal.
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

The OP prolly needs changing to "If you met the Buddha and somehow knew that it was in fact the Buddha..."
- Peter

retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

imagemarie wrote:Er..I'd hold up a flower. Am I on the wrong forum ? :jumping:
:rofl:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
BlackBird

Post by BlackBird »

Peter wrote: The truth is a person so attached to their views would, when confronted by the Buddha himself, sooner question whether that was really the Buddha than change their views.

"You didn't give me the answer I wanted. How do I know you are really the Buddha?"
This such a good point! Personally I have to be sure my mindfulness is very strong before I can see just how much I am really listening, and just how much I am simply waiting to hear someone else reinforce my own views, to give those views validity, and if they don't - well I'm simply waiting (impatiently) for a chance to verbalise my views, and show the other person that they're wrong and I'm right.

This seems to be at the heart of a good portion of the dialogue in the world. It accounts for almost all of the conversations I've ever had, anyway. In fact I was about to disagree with you, on the whole 'meeting the Buddha' note, but then whoop - there we go again.

Hope you have a great day!
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta

Path Press - Ñāṇavīra Thera Dhamma Page - Ajahn Nyanamoli's Dhamma talks
jcsuperstar

Post by jcsuperstar »

well, if you met the buddha you'd meet the buddha not some guy who may or may not be the buddha, so i think it's kinda implied you know he's the buddha :tongue:

also he seems to be pretty good at explaining a point so i guess he could wrangle some understanding into most of us if we were to be sincere in listening
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
kc2dpt

Post by kc2dpt »

jcsuperstar wrote:...if we were to be sincere in listening
Aye, there's the rub.
- Peter

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Is it Dhamma or Dharma? (just kidding :tongue: )

I would probably ask something like what retro said. Are the commentaries and the Abhidhamma accurate, important, necessary or where else might have the Theravada made any errors (if any)?
fig tree

Post by fig tree »

Is jhana needed for liberation? :tongue:

-or- What's a nimitta? :thinking:

-or- In my previous life or lives during your time, what was I spending my time doing? :cookoo:

One good thing is that he seems to have been willing to tell someone who asks a poor choice of question not to ask it, but to listen as he explained something else that made things clear.

Fig Tree