Suttas where lay people/monks attain stream entry

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Suttas where lay people/monks attain stream entry

Postby Coyote » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:08 pm

I want to begin a study of suttas pertaining to stream entry, but other than SN 55 I have no idea where to start. Any ideas of places in the canon, or individual suttas that record people attaining stream entry, especially if it has practical advice or gives the method they used i.e contemplation of impermanence, 5 aggregates ect.? I am especially interested in suttas where lay people are depicted.

Many thanks
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Re: Suttas where lay people/monks attain stream entry

Postby retrofuturist » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:38 pm

Greetings Coyote,

Keep an eye out for references to the opening of the "Dhamma eye".

:reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby santa100 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:45 am

Some links from the ATI's Index page:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/index-su ... tml#stream
santa100

Postby pegembara » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 am

"A pleasant feeling is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing. A painful feeling is also inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing. A neither-pleasant-nor-painful feeling is also inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen, subject to ending, subject to vanishing, fading, ceasing.

As Ven. Sariputta was reflecting thus, his mind was released from fermentations through not-clinging. While in LongNails the wanderer there arose the dustless, stainless Dhamma eye: "Whatever is subject to origination is all subject to cessation."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
pegembara

Postby Coyote » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks everyone. Now that I have access to pdf copies of the Nikays it should be easy to search, although because of the age of the translation the terms might be a bit off.
"If beings knew, as I know, the results of giving & sharing, they would not eat without having given, nor would the stain of miserliness overcome their minds. Even if it were their last bite, their last mouthful, they would not eat without having shared."
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Coyote » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 am

In case anyone is interested, I found this: http://15c78e68827edd100d00-3e5118b4a90 ... ersion.pdf
Iti 26
Coyote

Postby Ananda26 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:19 pm

Coyote wrote:I want to begin a study of suttas pertaining to stream entry, but other than SN 55 I have no idea where to start. Any ideas of places in the canon, or individual suttas that record people attaining stream entry, especially if it has practical advice or gives the method they used i.e contemplation of impermanence, 5 aggregates ect.? I am especially interested in suttas where lay people are depicted.

Many thanks

SN 55 is a great selection to include. Connected Discourses 55 on Stream Winners. There is a lot to do with Stream Entry there.

The Venerable Anna Kondanna got Stream Entry listening to the Turning of the Great Wheel Discourse which set in motion the Wheel of the Dhamma. It can be found in Connected Discourses Chapter 56, and also in the Vinaya.

Connected Discourses #41, the Citta Samyutta contains a number of things with Citta who Buddha named as 1 of 2 Laymen to be examples to laymen.
Ananda26

Return to General Theravāda discussion