YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

What does appamada mean to you? - Dhamma Wheel

What does appamada mean to you?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
phil

What does appamada mean to you?

Postby phil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:29 am

Hi all

As we know, the Buddha's last words urged monks to have appamada, heedfulness. I feel that it is so important in its protective aspect. When there is heedfulness of danger, there is no possibility of transgression, I find.

What does appamada mean to you? How does it manifest in your life, in your practice?
I find these days that there is something like an appamada iconthat tells me when appamada is on the way icons on desktop (?) tell us if programs have been installed. For me, it is mindfulness of bud-dho on in and out breath. When that mindfulness is there, appamada is there, I feel. When it isn't, there is pamada, there is no protection against harmful deeds. So fully developed appamada would be very similar to constant mindfulness, I guess. Nowhere near that for me, but there is more and more of it day by day, week by week, month by month, I feel.

What's your take on this very important topic? (I tried to search for it to see if I could bring a dead thread back to life, but nothing came up.)

Metta,

Phil
Kammalakkhano , bhikkhave, bālo, kammalakkhano pandito, apadānasobhanī paññāti
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

Ben

Re: What does appamada mean to you?

Postby Ben » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:37 am

Hi Phil,
Nice topic! For me, it is reminiscent of my sense of samvega pasada. A visceral sense of dread of samsara and urgency. Obviously, its not the same, but it is my sense of samvega pasada that I guess conditions my heedfulness.
Metta

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi Phil,
it means prety much the same to me.

interestingly mindfull is another word for heedfull in English, althought the meanings do have specific slants.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

phil

Postby phil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:22 am

Hi all

Today I heard one of the Burmese Sayadaws say that pamada (heedlessness) means failing to abstain from transgression, and appamada (heedfulness) means succeeding in abstaining from transgression. I'd never thought of it that way, exactly. I thought there was another dhamma that was responsible for the abstaining. Appamada feels more like something that is "on" all the time, even when there is no temptation to transgression. But I guess abstaining from transgression is implicit in appamada.

I bought an i-pod Nano yesterday, haven't had portable music for a few years now. I find it's not good for appamada. We really have to be paying attention all the time to potential dangers when we are walking around town etc. And that doesn't just mean stepping out in front of buses etc. (That's dangerous too, mind you.) I wonder if I will keep listening to the music or return to my meditative way of walking, or manage to combine music and appamada somehow.
It might have to be stuff without guitar solos cause I always trip out and imagine myself playing them...

Metta,

Phil
(The fool is characterized by his/her actions/the wise one is characterized by his/her actions/Wisdom shines forth in behaviour.)
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:37 am

phil

Postby phil » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:13 am

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

nomad

Postby nomad » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:35 am

I would agree that it is the same for me, Phil. However, I’m not nearly as mindful as I would like to be and it’s something with which I’m making progress. I guess I could say that ultimately, appamada is one of the many goals on my chosen path.

~nomad

:sage:
"I am because we are." -Xhosa Tribal Saying

kc2dpt

Postby kc2dpt » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Phil,

Please be careful of swinging from one extreme to the other. All study and no meditation is no good. All meditation and no study is also no good.
- Peter

Individual

Postby Individual » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:20 pm

The best things in life aren't things.

phil

Postby phil » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:02 am

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

phil

Postby phil » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:30 am

Hi all

Was just about to post a question about appamada, wondering why it is so rarely discussed hete or elsewhete although the Buddha put such a stress on it but I found that I'd posted a similar question/comment a few years ago. I wonder if appamada is just one of those got-it-or-you don't and not much to say about it topics...anyways I'll take the liberty of bumping the thread, thanks.
(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:50 pm

I rather like Mangalo Bhikkhu's translation..." Recollection".
A word that has come to mean "remembering" but in its original meaning it meant to "re-collect". To collect again. To bring our scattered minds back to the present.
To be aware and awake in the present moment.

phil

Postby phil » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 pm

(AN 3.2 Lakkhana Sutta)

alfa

Postby alfa » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:03 pm

mikenz66

Postby mikenz66 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:24 pm

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Ben

Postby Ben » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:51 pm

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

(Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • •

e: [email protected]..

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:10 pm

• • • • (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

pegembara

Postby pegembara » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 am

Keeping guard at the 6 sense bases at all times and asking is there any greed or aversion present.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.

rowyourboat

Postby rowyourboat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:45 pm

Heedfulness (appamada) has a broader meaning than what is normally ascribed to it, when the suttas are consulted.

"And how does one dwell in heedfulness? When a monk dwells with restraint over the faculty of the eye, the mind is not stained with forms cognizable via the eye. When the mind is not stained, there is joy. There being joy, there is rapture. There being rapture, there is serenity. There being serenity, he dwells in ease. The mind of one at ease becomes centered. When the mind is centered, phenomena (dhammas) become manifest. When phenomena are manifest, one is classed simply as one who dwells in heedfulness.

"When a monk dwells with restraint over the ear... nose... tongue... body...

It becomes clear that the full gamut of practice from sila (morality, sense restraint) to samadhi (comcentration) and finally insight, is included in its meaning. With that kind of definitiom, it would make sense for ot to be mentioned in the Buddha's last bit of advice: 'all fabrications are impermament, develop heedfulness'.

With metta

Matheesha
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”