Nipata Sutta

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Nipata Sutta

Postby bongrf » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 am

I have been trying to find a sutta which talks about personality types and I think suggests meditation approaches that are suited to each. I think this may be in the Nipata Sutta. Can anyone out there help me find the text that I'm looking for on line.
Thanks
bongrf

Re: Nipata Sutta

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:02 am

Greetings,

There might be something in the suttas, but the most commonly known analysis of personality types (caritas) in Theravada Buddhism is found in Buddhaghosa's Visuddhimagga.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:54 pm

I believe it is the Puggalapannatti of the Abhidhamma Pitaka which also discusses personality types. A more simple and quick chart is this one:

http://www.dhammawiki.com/index.php?tit ... typography

which is based on the Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby mikenz66 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:39 pm

As David says, the commentary to the Satipatthana Sutta records ancient experience about which Satipatthana areas are most suitable for different personality types.

The Way of Mindfulness, The Satipatthana Sutta and Its Commentary by Soma Thera

Cattaro Satipatthana = "The Four Arousings of Mindfulness." Four in relation to classes of objects of mindfulness.

Why did the Buddha teach just Four Arousings of Mindfulness and neither more nor less? By way of what was suitable for those capable of being trained.

In regard to the pair of the dull-witted and the keen-witted minds among tamable persons of the craving type and the theorizing type, pursuing the path of quietude [samatha] or that of insight [vipassana] in the practice of meditation, the following is stated: For the dull-witted man of craving type the Arousing of Mindfulness through the contemplation of the gross physical body is the Path to Purity; for the keen-witted of this type, the subtle subject of meditation on the feeling. And for the dull-witted man of the theorizing type the Path to Purity is the Arousing of Mindfulness through a subject not too full of distinctions, namely, consciousness [citta]; for the keen-witted of this type, the subject which teems with distinctions, namely the contemplation on things of the mind — mental objects [dhammanupassana].

For the dull-witted man, pursuing quietude, the First Arousing of Mindfulness, body-contemplation, is the Path to Purity, by reason of the feasibility of getting at the mental reflex; for the keen-witted of this type, because he does not continue to stay in the coarse, the second Arousing of Mindfulness, the contemplation on feeling, is the Path to Purity.

And for the dull-witted man pursuing the path of insight, the subject of meditation without many distinctions, the contemplation on consciousness, is the Path to Purity; and for the keen-witted of this type the contemplation on mental objects which is full of distinctions.

Chapter III of the Visuddhimagga discusses the choice of object for samatha meditation:
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... index.html
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/auth ... on2011.pdf

74. Now, as to the words, one that suits his temperament (§28): there are six kinds of
temperament, that is, greedy temperament, hating temperament, deluded
temperament, faithful temperament, intelligent temperament, and speculative
temperament. Some would have fourteen, taking these six single ones together
with the four made up of the three double combinations and one triple combination
with the greed triad and likewise with the faith triad. But if this classification is
admitted, there are many more kinds of temperament possible by combining greed,
etc., with faith, etc.; therefore the kinds of temperament should be understood
briefly as only six. As to meaning the temperaments are one, that is to say, personal
nature, idiosyncrasy. According to these there are only six types of persons,
that is, one of greedy temperament, one of hating temperament, one of deluded
temperament, one of faithful temperament, one of intelligent temperament, and
one of speculative temperament.

:anjali:
Mike
mikenz66

Postby bongrf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:33 pm

Thanks everyone. Will be checking all of these.
Bows of gratitude! :anjali:
bongrf

Return to General Theravāda discussion