Artificial flowers on altar?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Artificial flowers on altar?

Postby Jon. S » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:43 am

Is this acceptable? I usually buy fresh flowers but they can get very expensive.. was also thinking about buy orchids but I am not so skilled with them..
I was born naked.
My beloved parents
kindly gave me a name.
When I reached twenty
I thought "a name is a chain,
I want to abandon it".
Whoever I questioned
No one answers me.
When I hear the wind in the pines
I get an answer.
Jon. S

Re: Artificial flowers on altar?

Postby SarathW » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:05 am

I think, that the objective of offering flowers is to reflect on three characteristics of existence, impermanence, stress and soullessness.
In addition, offering lotus flower has some different meanings.

In that basis may be, we can offer even some fruits or leaves too, if we needed. :shrug:

However, like many Buddhist values, flowers offering have been deteriorated to comply with changes overtime.
My local temple altar got lot of artificial flowers. It is used more as a decoration.

I think the most important thing is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.
:)
SarathW

Postby Mkoll » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:48 am

SarathW wrote:I think, that the objective of offering flowers is to reflect on three characteristics of existence, impermanence, stress and soullessness.
In addition, offering lotus flower has some different meanings.

In that basis may be, we can offer even some fruits or leaves too, if we needed. :shrug:

However, like many Buddhist values, flowers offering have been deteriorated to comply with changes overtime.
My local temple altar got lot of artificial flowers. It is used more as a decoration.

I think the most important thing is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.
:)

:goodpost:

And attachment to rites and rituals is a fetter that is cut on stream-entry. I doubt a noble disciple of the Buddha would see artificial flowers as a big deal.
When this is, that is.
From the arising of this comes the arising of that.
When this isn't, that isn't.
From the cessation of this comes the cessation of that.
-SN 12.61

Ex nihilo nihil fit.

Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby daverupa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:34 pm

Mkoll wrote:I doubt a noble disciple of the Buddha would see artificial flowers as a big deal.

Or altars, for that matter. Hopefully it no longer supports worry.

:heart:
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby chownah » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:10 am

I think I would first see if other people are bringing artificial flowers.....if they aren't then I wouldn't. If people are bringing artificial flowers or if there are some more or less permanently on display ther then I might ask a monk if it is ok if I wash them to keep them looking nice.....if he says it is ok then I would regularly clean them instead of regularly bringing new ones.
chownah
chownah

Postby plwk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:24 am

There are so many Buddhist temples of all stripes which places artificial flowers made from plastic, plaster, gold/silver deco and so forth on their altars, so I don't see why you can't. I too have some artificial flowers on my altar for years on end already. I haven't heard the Buddha grumble thus far :mrgreen:
The other alternative is to place real potted plants with flowers if one wishes but lots of care must be in order to maintain it...
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby Hickersonia » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:05 pm

The are artificial flowers on my home shrine, but real ones would not live very long at all where my shrine sits ... It is currently about 17 degrees (F) in my shrine room. :anjali:
Hickersonia
http://hickersonia.wordpress.com/

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of
throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned."
Hickersonia

Return to General Theravāda discussion