Dissertation Participants

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Blake-Southampton
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Dissertation Participants

Postby Blake-Southampton » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:10 pm

Hello,

My name is Blake Moore and I am a third year anthropology student from the University of Southampton. For my dissertation I am conducting research on the differences between convert and ethnic Buddhists. In particular, I am interested in:

- Religious identity and how those who have come to Buddhism from different walks of life understand it.

- The different ways Buddhism is practised by ethnic and convert Buddhists, particularly relating to meditation.

- The global movements of Buddhism, why has it has spread so vastly?

I am looking for participants for my research who are willing to be interviewed who are both ethnically Buddhist and converts. The interviews should take no more than 45 minutes and will hopefully be an enjoyable experience! If you are located in Hampshire I can come and meet you or if not, we can simply do the interview over Skype.

I really would appreciate your input and it would be great to hear from you so please do get in touch!

Kind Regards,

Blake Moore

Modus.Ponens
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Re: Dissertation Participants

Postby Modus.Ponens » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:59 pm

Hello

Could you please explain what are the general areas that the questions touch?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:23 pm

There are several Buddhist groups in Southampton. We used to visit regularly (many years ago) when I was at Chithurst.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

gavesako
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1

Postby gavesako » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:04 am

There is a large group of Thai students at Southampton university. They have a Buddhist society and invite monks to teach there from time to time. They also come to Chithurst monastery for some festival days. You could ask some of them to participate.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts

Blake-Southampton
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Postby Blake-Southampton » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:39 pm

Hello guys,

Thanks for your responses, I apologise for the delay!

Modus.Ponens wrote:Hello

Could you please explain what are the general areas that the questions touch?

No problem Modus. Ponens.

The interviews are semi-structured in nature so I'm trying to treat them very much as an informal (but informative) chat which hits some of my key areas of interest.

Firstly I'd like to discuss how participants came to Buddhism. If the interviewee is a convert, then what triggered that conversion will hopefully be discussed. Conversely, if the participant is ethnically Buddhist, then I will focus on the defining factors in the construction of their religious identity growing up. In addition to this I hope that the participants will be willing to offer an opinion on what makes them different from ethnic Buddhists if they are converts and vice versa.

After initial thoughts are conveyed I hope to learn more about each individual and how Buddhism plays a part in their everyday life. I'm really looking forward to understanding how it is applicable in different ways!

The final general topic that will be covered is the adaptability of Buddhism. I want to explore why it is a belief system which is so open to change and fluid in nature. I would like to also ask the participants opinions on the rise of Buddhism in the West and in what ways they feel it is set to grow further.

Although obviously these are areas I'd like to hear about, I'm very open to learning more about each individual! If participants feel they do not wish to talk about certain things then that is not a problem at all, we can simply move on to something they'd rather talk about :)

I hope that answers your question, it would be great if you were willing to participate!

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:There are several Buddhist groups in Southampton. We used to visit regularly (many years ago) when I was at Chithurst.

Thank you Bhikku Pesala, I'll definitely get in contact with them and see if they are willing to be interviewed!

gavesako wrote:There is a large group of Thai students at Southampton university. They have a Buddhist society and invite monks to teach there from time to time. They also come to Chithurst monastery for some festival days. You could ask some of them to participate.

Thanks Gavesako! I did not actually know there was a group. I've been looking but so far I've been unable to formally contact them. I'm going to do some more investigating through the University and fingers crossed I'll be able to get hold of them. This is exactly what I'd been hoping for!

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”