suttas on thinking and will power

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

suttas on thinking and will power

Postby befriend » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 am

does Buddha teach anywhere the merit of constructive reasoning?
befriend

Re: suttas on thinking and will power

Postby retrofuturist » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:21 am

Greetings befriend,

Like this, for example...?

MN 60: Apannaka Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby befriend » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 am

i mean being intelligent. it doesn't seem to be a paramis, unless it would fall under effort, determination, or something else.
befriend

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 am

befriend wrote:i mean being intelligent. it doesn't seem to be a paramis, unless it would fall under effort, determination, or something else.

Or perhaps investigation - dhamma vicaya; one of the 7 factors of enlightenment.

Here, bhikkhus, when he makes a thorough investigation, a bhikkhu thoroughly investigates thus: ‘The many diverse kinds of suffering that arise in the world headed by aging-and-death: what is the source of this suffering, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When what exists does aging-and-death come to be? When what does not exist does aging-and-death come to be?’” (Samyutta Nikaya 12.51)
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby befriend » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 am

I always thought investigation was more like being curious of your meditation object. something such as investigating a painful sensation. I may be entirely wrong though.
befriend

Postby daverupa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 am

There is also this:

DN 1 wrote:Herein, bhikkhus, recluse or a certain brahmin is a rationalist, an investigator. He declares his view — hammered out by reason, deduced from his investigations, following his own flight of thought — thus:...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
daverupa

Postby SarathW » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:01 am

befriend wrote:I always thought investigation was more like being curious of your meditation object. something such as investigating a painful sensation. I may be entirely wrong though.

I think you are right.
Vitakka and Vikara come under this category.
:meditate:

Ps:
Thanks retro for the link. I like two way bets. :)
SarathW

Return to General Theravāda discussion