suttas on thinking and will power

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
befriend

suttas on thinking and will power

Postby befriend » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 am

does Buddha teach anywhere the merit of constructive reasoning?
take care of mindfulness, and mindfulness will take care of you.

Paul Davy
Site Admin

Re: suttas on thinking and will power

Postby Paul Davy » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:21 am

Greetings befriend,

Like this, for example...?

MN 60: Apannaka Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

befriend

Postby befriend » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 am

i mean being intelligent. it doesn't seem to be a paramis, unless it would fall under effort, determination, or something else.

David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby David N. Snyder » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:50 am

befriend wrote:i mean being intelligent. it doesn't seem to be a paramis, unless it would fall under effort, determination, or something else.

Or perhaps investigation - dhamma vicaya; one of the 7 factors of enlightenment.

Here, bhikkhus, when he makes a thorough investigation, a bhikkhu thoroughly investigates thus: ‘The many diverse kinds of suffering that arise in the world headed by aging-and-death: what is the source of this suffering, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When what exists does aging-and-death come to be? When what does not exist does aging-and-death come to be?’” (Samyutta Nikaya 12.51)

befriend

Postby befriend » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:57 am

I always thought investigation was more like being curious of your meditation object. something such as investigating a painful sensation. I may be entirely wrong though.

daverupa

Postby daverupa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 am

There is also this:

DN 1 wrote:Herein, bhikkhus, recluse or a certain brahmin is a rationalist, an investigator. He declares his view — hammered out by reason, deduced from his investigations, following his own flight of thought — thus:...
    "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.
- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]

SarathW

Postby SarathW » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:01 am

befriend wrote:I always thought investigation was more like being curious of your meditation object. something such as investigating a painful sensation. I may be entirely wrong though.

I think you are right.
Vitakka and Vikara come under this category.
:meditate:

Ps:
Thanks retro for the link. I like two way bets. :)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”