Is snuff an intoxicant?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
villkorkarma

Re: Is snuff an intoxicant?

Post by villkorkarma »

Do you honestly Believe that you get Healthproblems from snuff?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
cooran

Post by cooran »

Yes.

Smokeless tobacco and Cancer - National Cancer Institute
http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/fact ... /smokeless

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

cooran those are excellent links :namaste:

( i dont have to "experience " or have any "self realization" to know something is bad - its enough that someone says to you its bad or if you read it somewhere - i dont need to be attacked by a lion to know it is bad it is logical to me when someone says that lion attacks are not good for my health )

Smokeless tobacco and Cancer - National Cancer Institute
the link above says it very clear that snuff is not healthy - they say it in a short to the point kind of way
Smokeless Tobacco: A guide for Quitting :weep:
http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Top ... itting.htm
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

villkorkarma wrote:the important thing here is why should we stop?
Here's an interesting experiment to try:

Next time you want to use it, hold off. Pay full attention to what it feels like to want it and not have it. Ask yourself if the feeling is pleasant, neutral, or unpleasant. Take the time to get used to how it feels to want it and not have it. Then, think about how that feeling repeats because of using it in the past and that the feeling is made stronger and made to repeat more frequently by indulging the desire. Ask yourself if you want your happiness to depend on this external thing that harms your health, costs money, and may not be available at various times during your life. Look at the experience while you're using it and ask how much happiness you get from it, whether that happiness lasts very long or whether it contributes to your long term welfare and happiness.

This is basically really paying attention to the full cycle of the activity rather than just the most enjoyable part, and honestly asking the questions from MN 135
MN 135: Cula-kammavibhanga Sutta wrote: What, having been done by me, will be for my long-term harm & suffering? Or what, having been done by me, will be for my long-term welfare & happiness?
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

does snuff go up the nose? so its powdered tobacco going up the nose? yuck!

only thing meant to go in the nose is fresh air and the occasional baby finger :oops:
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
cooran

Post by cooran »

No it doesn't go up the nose.

Read number 1 in this article:

With metta,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Babadhari

Post by Babadhari »

there is such a thing as nasal snuff which goes in the nose. what is being referred to here as snuff i would have regarded as chewing tobacco.

anyhow, to the crux of the matter.
nicotine is a drug.
nicotine creates craving
nicotine alters mood.
nicotine is an intoxicant
therefore snuff tobacco is an intoxicant

some relevent information
Tobacco is as addictive as heroin (as a mood & behavior altering agent).
Nicotine is:
1000 X more potent than alcohol
10-100 X more potent than barbiturates
5-10 X more potent than cocaine or morphine
http://www1.umn.edu/perio/tobacco/nicaddct.html
Aflame with the fire of passion, the fire of aversion, the fire of delusion.
Aflame, with birth, aging & death, with sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs ......

Seeing thus, the disciple of the Noble One grows disenchanted. SN 35.28
villkorkarma

Post by villkorkarma »

purple planet wrote:cooran those are excellent links :namaste:

( i dont have to "experience " or have any "self realization" to know something is bad - its enough that someone says to you its bad or if you read it somewhere - i dont need to be attacked by a lion to know it is bad it is logical to me when someone says that lion attacks are not good for my health )
How have to have learned to lissen and do what people told you to do and not do what them tell you is bad?
one suffer because one hasnt existed long : )
purple planet

Post by purple planet »

Its not something magical ..... its pure logic and common sense ... everything in buddhism is logical

How have to have learned to lissen and do what people told you to do and not do what them tell you is bad?
Things that hurt other beings you know they are bad -stuff like killing - stealing - rapeing - stuff like drugs and alcohol can also make you hurt others so you know they are not good - its common sense - if they would tell me to steal than i wouldn't do it - as long as its good stuff than i listen

so if something sounds logical to me and dosnt sound crazy but logical - and if it dosnt hurt anybody - and is not harmful to my health - and if the person who says it is a good person - than i tend to listen to it
Moth

Post by Moth »

I no longer smoke but I am still addicted to nicotine, I think about it often. Addiction is a very powerful and detrimental thing. Your health is a very precious, especially your respiratory system. Tobacco serves a certain purpose, calming the nerves, but meditation is far superior at this. Try to replace nicotine with mediation. Having quit cigarettes I am much happier and feel much healthier.

All this being said I do not think it is proper for us to redefine the fifth precept. Is smoking a violation of the fifth precept? Perhaps, perhaps not. I am not saying it is one way or another, but we should be careful not to misquote the Buddha.
May you be happy. May you be a peace. May you be free from suffering.
http://www.everythingspirals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;