Consciousness (Viññāṇa)

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Consciousness (Viññāṇa)

Postby ccook70 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:26 am

What is "Consciousness?" (In layman's terms)

:thanks:

Corey
ccook70

Re: Consciousness (Viññāṇa)

Postby pilgrim » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:41 am

Your questions on the 5 khandas are answered and explained in a number of ways. for a simple layman's explanantion, this is good enough.
http://buddhism.about.com/od/whatisthes ... explan.htm
pilgrim

Postby SamKR » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:49 am

ccook70 wrote:What is "Consciousness?" (In layman's terms)

In every sense perception, feeling, thought or form there is a distinct quality of "knowing" (or "awareness" or "being" or "existence" or "presence"), without which those perceptions etc. would not be discerned or would not arise. This very knowing or awareness, which makes possibility of arising of other things (nama-rupa), is called Consciousness (Vinnana).
SamKR

Postby chownah » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:44 am

Corey

Laymen do not understand what is consciousness partly because laymen tend to think that they can understand it by reading and using words.....but even in e.g. English there are many different presentations of what consciousness is and they do not agree.....the same can be said for perception etc. The aggregates are not clearly defined individual entities....they arise and work together in a way that few if any understand. There is no need to disassociate them one from the other but a general idea about their individuality can be interesting and to a certain degree informative but the idea that consciousness can be isolated and given a clear, unambiguous, irrefutable meaning is problematic in that consciousness does not exist separately from the others.
chownah
P.S. Check out nyanatiloka's Buddhist dictionary
chownah
chownah

Postby suttametta » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:54 am

Corey

continuous perceiving
suttametta

Postby SamKR » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:53 am

suttametta wrote:

Corey

continuous perceiving

I don't agree with this.
SamKR

Postby SamKR » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:58 am

chownah wrote:Laymen do not understand what is consciousness partly because laymen tend to think that they can understand it by reading and using words.....but even in e.g. English there are many different presentations of what consciousness is and they do not agree.....the same can be said for perception etc. The aggregates are not clearly defined individual entities....they arise and work together in a way that few if any understand. There is no need to disassociate them one from the other but a general idea about their individuality can be interesting and to a certain degree informative but the idea that consciousness can be isolated and given a clear, unambiguous, irrefutable meaning is problematic in that consciousness does not exist separately from the others.

I don't know why you think that only a few can understand consciousness (vinnana). We can directly and clearly "see" consciousness all the time in our normal experience too. ccook70's question was very good. To practice the meditation taught by the Buddha it is necessary to know what consciousness and other aggregates mean.
SamKR

Postby Mkoll » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:48 am

chownah wrote:P.S. Check out nyanatiloka's Buddhist dictionary

I second this. Check it out when you have a question and you just might find it and a bunch of others answered.
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:58 am

Greetings,

SamKR wrote:
suttametta wrote:

Corey

continuous perceiving

I don't agree with this.

Neither do I.

In the Dhamma, vinnana is conjoined with whatever there is consciousness of... taste, sound, smell, touch, mind, and sight.

To that end, I'd regard vinnana as the experiential presence of x.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:33 am

retrofuturist,
So then would you say that consciousness equals experience?
chownah
chownah

Postby retrofuturist » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:02 am

Greetings Chownah,

chownah wrote:So then would you say that consciousness equals experience?

More specifically, "experience of".

But that's just how I see it.

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:13 am

retrofuturist,
Perhaps this is just linguistics but it seems like "conscious of" (a verb like construction) might be equivalent to "experience of" (a verb like construction)......and "consciousness" (a noun) might be equivalent to "experience" (a noun).......while you are saying "consciousness" (a noun I guess) is equivalent to "experience of" (a verb like construction I guess). Can you comment on this?
chownah
Edit: what I have written seems garbled but I will leave it up anyway just in case it might help explain my misunderstanding of your "existence of" construct. Seems we discussed this before and I kept not understanding until you finally gave up on trying to explain after many attempts and I appreciate your efforts. Maybe a new approach can help me. Maybe you could explain what you see as the difference between "existence" and "existence of". Also, is this a meaningful sentence from your point of view on this, "The existence of consciousness is necessary for something."?
chownah
chownah

Postby EndlessStream » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:33 am

retrofuturist wrote:In the Dhamma, vinnana is conjoined with whatever there is consciousness of... taste, sound, smell, touch, mind, and sight.

Hi

The Dhamma Scripture also includes consciousness descends into the womb every time there is a new life.

"If consciousness were not to descend into the mother's womb, would name-and-form take shape in the womb?"

"No, lord."

"If, after descending into the womb, consciousness were to depart, would name-and-form be produced for this world?"

"No, lord."

Maha-nidana Sutta: The Great Causes Discourse

“Bhikkhus, the descent of the gabbha (misleadingly translated as embryo by Bhikkhu Bodhi) takes place through the union of 3 things – the union of mother and father, the mother is in season, and the gandhabba (stream of consciousness) is present.” From Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi’s translation of Sutta #38 of the Majjhima Nikāya..

A single embryo may split into 2 or more viable embryos after a certain number of days. Prior to such an event, there cannot be 2 stream of consciousnesses (s.o.c.) co-existing in a single embryo, nor can a single s.o.c. split into two separate streams. Such propositions are excluded by the Buddha’s doctrine of Paṭicca-Samuppāda.
Either a second s.o.c. enters one of the divided embryos after the separation, or two karmically connected s.o.cs. enter the twinned embryos at the same time shortly after division. In either case, this shows that the s.o.c. can descend into the mother’s womb several days after parental union.

The Buddha consistently stated that human life in this body begins when consciousness first manifests inside the mother’s womb.

There are some skilful meditators who can remember their past lives, and also those who can recall past lives through other means. Those who recall the passage from their previous life into their present existence are remarkably consistent in their recollection of being drawn irresistibly into their future mother’s womb. One of the unstated but necessary ingredients for rebirth is the sight of one’s future mother, which acts as a magnet to draw the stream of consciousness in.

When Does Human Life Begin in This Body? By Ajahn Brahm
EndlessStream

Return to General Theravāda discussion