Sexual Desire

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Sexual Desire

Postby ccook70 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:44 am

Does sexual desire lead to rebirth?

What is the way to end sexual desire (the eightfold path?)

What does the Pali Canon say about sexual desire?

Thanks!

Corey
ccook70

Re: Sexual Desire

Postby fivebells » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:46 am

Sexual desire is a rebirth.

The way to ending it is to find something better in concentration practice, and to contemplate its drawbacks.
fivebells

Postby Mkoll » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:14 am

ccook70 wrote:Does sexual desire lead to rebirth?

What is the way to end sexual desire (the eightfold path?)

What does the Pali Canon say about sexual desire?

Thanks!

Corey

Craving of any kind leads to rebirth. Sexual desire is one of the most potent cravings.

Yes, the Noble Eightfold Path. It's only eliminated completely at non-returning (anagami).

It says a lot of things. What's most important for a layperson is not to have illicit sex. From there, perception of the unattractive reduces sexual lust.

The perception of the unattractive, when developed & pursued, is of great fruit, of great benefit. It gains a footing in the Deathless, has the Deathless as its final end': Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said?

"When a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind shrinks away from the completion of the sexual act, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance. Just as a cock's feather or a piece of tendon, when thrown into a fire, shrinks away, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in; in the same way, when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind shrinks away from the completion of the sexual act, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance. If, when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind inclines to the completion of the sexual act, or if non-loathing takes a stance, then he should realize, 'I have not developed the perception of the unattractive; there is no step-by-step distinction in me; I have not arrived at the fruit of [mental] development.' In that way he is alert there. But if, when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind shrinks away from the completion of the sexual act, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance, then he should realize, 'I have developed the perception of the unattractive; there is a step-by-step distinction in me; I have arrived at the fruit of [mental] development.' In that way he is alert there.

-AN 7.46 (Access to Insight version, above), AN 7.49 (Ven. Bodhi's translation)
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Postby fivebells » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm

... when a monk's awareness often remains steeped in the perception of the unattractive, his mind shrinks away from the completion of the sexual act, bends away, pulls back, and is not drawn in, and either equanimity or loathing take a stance.

This may help.. :jumping:
fivebells

Postby Goofaholix » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Sexual desire is just one of the most gross forms of craving, all craving from the most subtle to the grossest conditions rebirth.
"Proper effort is not the effort to make something particular happen. It is the effort to be aware and awake each moment." - Ajahn Chah
"When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness. When we stop clinging, we can begin to be happy." - Ajahn Chah
"Know and watch your heart. It’s pure but emotions come to colour it." — Ajahn Chah
Goofaholix

Postby ccook70 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:52 pm

Mkoll,

Could you elaborate a little more on how to eliminate sexual desire?
ccook70

Postby Mkoll » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:44 pm

I haven't eliminated sexual desire so I can't give you good advice. But I can tell you about perception of the unattractive as a contemplation which, according to the sutta I quoted, leads to the elimination of sexual desire.

Perception of the unattractive is usually taken to mean contemplation of the 31 parts of the body or asubha meditation. It's about looking under the skin of the human body and seeing the unattractive nature of its parts. The source instructions are from the satipatthana sutta (MN 10). There are very detailed and elaborate instructions for doing so in the Visuddhimagga. There are some threads on the forum that have talked about it. Here are some web links as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patikulamanasikara
http://www.arrowriver.ca/dhamma/body.html
http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/III/The_32_Parts.htm
Peace,
James
Mkoll

Return to General Theravāda discussion