Past Kamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Past Kamma

Postby indian_buddhist » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:17 pm

My understanding of Buddhism is limited and hope someone can please enlighten me about Kamma in Buddhism.

My understanding of Kamma is this:- There are 4 types of Kamma.
Kamma of Good Intentions :- Those born of Non-Greed, Non-Hatred and Non-delusion
Kamma of Bad Intentions :- Those born of Greed, Hatred and Delusion.
Kamma of both Good and Bad Intentions: A mix of above two.
Kamma that kills Kamma:- This Kamma is specific to Buddhism and uses the 8 Noble path to kill the Kamma that has not yet ripen.

Kamma is like Seeds . When you do something by an act of Will which can be either Mental/Physical or Verbal you create a SEED. When the appropriate situation arises the Seed is then Ripened (Phala) and fruits of the Kamma are got.

Ok so what Makes Buddhism a positive mechanism is that it can make use of this 4th type of Kamma (Kamma which kills Kamma) to kill the Seeds which have not yet Ripen and therefore dramatically change the path of Future Kamma.

My specific question to ask is:- What if there is a Grave Negative Kamma (like Killing of relatives etc)......Can that Kamma be stopped from Ripening by following the Buddhist path or does Grave Negative Kamma would definitely Ripen in this life/future lives?.
Secondly can anyone please point me out to the specific Grave negative Kamma which cannot be stopped by following the 8 fold noble path?.

Thanks.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
indian_buddhist

Re: Past Kamma

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Heavy negative kamma refers to matricide, patricide, the murder of an Arahant, wounding a Buddha, and causing a schism in the Saṅgha.

An example if the ripening of this heavy kamma is the murder of the Venerable Moggallāna by robbers, though he was an Arahant with psychic powers, due to the past kamma of killing both of his parents.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby indian_buddhist » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:38 pm

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:Heavy negative kamma refers to matricide, patricide, the murder of an Arahant, wounding a Buddha, and causing a schism in the Saṅgha.

An example if the ripening of this heavy kamma is the murder of the Venerable Moggallāna by robbers, though he was an Arahant with psychic powers, due to the past kamma of killing both of his parents.

Thanks for clarifying Respected Ven. Bikkhu Pesala.
Identification with my country is one of my fetters.
indian_buddhist

Postby Ananda26 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:49 pm

indian_buddhist wrote:My understanding of Buddhism is limited and hope someone can please enlighten me about Kamma in Buddhism.

My understanding of Kamma is this:- There are 4 types of Kamma.
Kamma of Good Intentions :- Those born of Non-Greed, Non-Hatred and Non-delusion
Kamma of Bad Intentions :- Those born of Greed, Hatred and Delusion.
Kamma of both Good and Bad Intentions: A mix of above two.
Kamma that kills Kamma:- This Kamma is specific to Buddhism and uses the 8 Noble path to kill the Kamma that has not yet ripen.

Kamma is like Seeds . When you do something by an act of Will which can be either Mental/Physical or Verbal you create a SEED. When the appropriate situation arises the Seed is then Ripened (Phala) and fruits of the Kamma are got.

Ok so what Makes Buddhism a positive mechanism is that it can make use of this 4th type of Kamma (Kamma which kills Kamma) to kill the Seeds which have not yet Ripen and therefore dramatically change the path of Future Kamma.

My specific question to ask is:- What if there is a Grave Negative Kamma (like Killing of relatives etc)......Can that Kamma be stopped from Ripening by following the Buddhist path or does Grave Negative Kamma would definitely Ripen in this life/future lives?.
Secondly can anyone please point me out to the specific Grave negative Kamma which cannot be stopped by following the 8 fold noble path?.

Thanks.

There are 3 types of action: good with fixed result, evil with fixed result, and indeterminate.

If one kills mother, father, or an Arahant, if one causes a schism in the Sangha, or with a mind of hate sheds a Tathagata's blood, that would be evil with fixed result. When the person passes away they would be reborn in hell.

When a person has attained Stream Entry, it is impossible that he would commit any of these 5 evil actions with fixed result.
Ananda26

Return to General Theravāda discussion