Sankhara aggregate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Sankhara aggregate

Postby Spiny Norman » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:44 am

acinteyyo wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:On the adjective/noun distinction, are you saying that sankhara = sankhata dhamma?

I think you could say so.

If so, then logically the aggregates as a whole are sankhata dhamma.
Mrs. Bun: Have you got anything without spam in it?
Waitress: Well, there's spam, egg, sausage and spam. That's not got MUCH spam in it.
Spiny Norman

Re: Sankhara aggregate

Postby acinteyyo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:47 pm

Spiny Norman wrote:
acinteyyo wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:On the adjective/noun distinction, are you saying that sankhara = sankhata dhamma?

I think you could say so.

If so, then logically the aggregates as a whole are sankhata dhamma.

Of course they are. If they wouldn't be conditioned/fabricated/dependent there wouldn't be any way out. When the cause for their arising ceases, they'll cease accordingly.
On one hand they are sankhārā as a whole because they are all fabricated and/or fabricate other dhammā, and on the other hand they are also sankhārā because ultimately they're based on upādāna (clinging), which is a volitional act out of avijjā (ignorance).

best wishes, acinteyyo
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

:anjali:
acinteyyo

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion