Visual: Non-time-delineated model of Dependent Origination

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ground

Re: Visual: Non-time-delineated model of Dependent Origination

Post by ground »

I guess the time-delineated view and the non-time-delineated view are actually equally valid depending on the perspective of the subject: Being involved in one's own concept of what is called "time" and not being involved so (i.e. "timelessly" being aware) can be seen as a sort of flip-flop mechanism. The former corresponds generally to the teachings that refer to conventional, worldly view (e.g. "right view with effluents") and the latter to the teachings that refer to "supramundane" wisdom (e.g. "right view without effluents").

Kind regards
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Some interesting thoughts on the non-time-delineated model of dependent origination from Ajahn Sumedho...

Extract from The Way It Is
http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/documen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 20moa.html

Metta,
Retro. :)
Two related dhamma talks I have recently listened to for those interested in Sumedho and this topic --

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/10/talk/5383/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/10/talk/8152/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There are many others by Sumedho at this site, as I am sure many of you already know. For those who don't know, you're in for a treat. :smile:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

That extract from The Way It Is is superb.
What a wondeful teacher LUANG POR or AJAHN Sumedho is...I hope he is enjoying his "retirement."
Su Dongpo

Post by Su Dongpo »

PeterB wrote:That extract from The Way It Is is superb.
What a wondeful teacher LUANG POR or AJAHN Sumedho is...I hope he is enjoying his "retirement."
I read only yesterday that he is living in Thailand as a "free agent" ... :jumping:

I hope he is happy. Actually, I am pretty sure that he is.
Nibbida

Post by Nibbida »

I find this very helpful. It's a lot of concepts to keep in one's head, so to see it laid out like this comprehensively is very useful. Thanks Retro.
fxam

Post by fxam »

Paul Davy wrote: I just wanted to share with you a diagrammatical representation of a non-time-delineated that I've designed and modified in conjunction with a few people who have provided useful feedback (who I am also pleased to see are now members of this very board).

This map has been very useful for me in terms of getting a big picture view of dependent origination and I hope others interested in exploring the non-commentarial model will find it of use too.

Comments, feedback and suggestions for improvement all welcome.
Dependent Origination Map 0.5.png
(Version 0.5 - Updated 21st April 2010)

Metta,
Retro. :)
Sorry for bringing this topic up, but I can't see the picture, can you upload it again? :) Thanks!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Sorry, I no longer have the original file.

If you want to understand how paticcasamuppada works in a non-time-delineated manner, I would recommend Vol 1 and Vol 2 of venerable Nanananda's "The Law of Dependent Arising: The Secret of Bondage and Release".

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
fxam

Post by fxam »

Paul Davy wrote:Greetings,

Sorry, I no longer have the original file.

If you want to understand how paticcasamuppada works in a non-time-delineated manner, I would recommend Vol 1 and Vol 2 of venerable Nanananda's "The Law of Dependent Arising: The Secret of Bondage and Release".

Metta,
Great, I was reading Vol 1 yesterday, downloaded from the same links. It really opened my eyes.
What conditioned the download and reading? It was you :) I read your post yesterday that Nanananda "is one of only two bhikkhus of the modern era with whom you agree with virtually everything they've said."
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings fxam,

I'm pleased you're finding his words of value.

:reading:

If you read those two and wish to read further beyond that (either on the subject, or by author) just let me know.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
fxam

Post by fxam »

Paul Davy wrote: If you read those two and wish to read further beyond that (either on the subject, or by author) just let me know.

Metta,
My current :reading: list:
  • Sutta Pitaka
  • The Law of Dependent Arising Vol 1 - Nanananda Bhikkhu
  • The Law of Dependent Arising Vol 2 - Nanananda Bhikkhu
  • Concept and Reality - Nanananda Bhikkhu
  • The Magic of the Mind - an exposition of the Kalakarama Sutta - Nanananda Bhikkhu
  • Nibbana - The Mind Stilled - Nanananda Bhikkhu
  • and other books by Nanananda Bhikkhu
  • Clearing the Path - Nanavira Thera (had read a few times, each time with different level of understanding)
  • The Way It Is - Ajahn Sumedho
Do you have other suggestions?

And most importantly, put the reading into practice.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

I like your taste in books.

:reading: :thumbsup:

I think once we had a topic somewhere on our ten favourite Dhamma books and your reading list shares a remarkable similarity to my list! Have fun...

:focus:

Metta,
samseva

Post by samseva »

Paul Davy wrote: :reading:
Paul, would you know where one could buy Ñāṇananda Bhikkhu's paperback books, especially Concept and Reality, preferably new and in North America? Sadly, it is not available at pariyatti.org, since there is a waiting list.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Samseva,
samseva wrote:Paul, would you know where one could buy Ñāṇananda Bhikkhu's paperback books, especially Concept and Reality, preferably new and in North America? Sadly, it is not available at pariyatti.org, since there is a waiting list.
Unfortunately, no. I live in Australia and I originally ordered my copy through the Buddhist Publication Society in Sri Lanka several years ago. I've only ever seen one other physical copy of the book, and knowing how hard it is to get in physical format nowadays I bought it and passed it on to Ben.

Metta,
fxam

Post by fxam »

samseva wrote:
Paul Davy wrote: :reading:
Paul, would you know where one could buy Ñāṇananda Bhikkhu's paperback books, especially Concept and Reality, preferably new and in North America? Sadly, it is not available at pariyatti.org, since there is a waiting list.
Maybe you can download and print it yourself from http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/eng/ ... =other&p=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Or you can consider on-demand book printing or ask a local printing company to do it.
samseva

Post by samseva »

Paul Davy wrote:Greetings Samseva,
samseva wrote:Paul, would you know where one could buy Ñāṇananda Bhikkhu's paperback books, especially Concept and Reality, preferably new and in North America? Sadly, it is not available at pariyatti.org, since there is a waiting list.
Unfortunately, no. I live in Australia and I originally ordered my copy through the Buddhist Publication Society in Sri Lanka several years ago. I've only ever seen one other physical copy of the book, and knowing how hard it is to get in physical format nowadays I bought it and passed it on to Ben.

Metta,
Thanks anyway.

Just checked and having the book printed out would cost less than $10. It is for free distribution, so there are no legal problems with this either. :smile:
fxam wrote:Maybe you can download and print it yourself from http://www.seeingthroughthenet.net/eng/ ... =other&p=2
Or you can consider on-demand book printing or ask a local printing company to do it.
Thanks for the suggestion. We were both on the same page. ;)