assada adinava and nissarana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
retrofuturist

Re: assada adinava and nissarana

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:Discourse 11? PTS reference?
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paragraph 7.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:Discourse 11? PTS reference?
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .ntbb.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paragraph 7.

Metta,
Retro. :)
MN i 65.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
cooran

Post by cooran »

Hello Stefan,
Stefan said: I am asking what the name is, not create a new one.
This is a good thing. If there is no name, then there is no name.

metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

Here is interesting sutta:
  • So long, bhikkhus, as I did not directly know as they really are the gratification, the danger, and the escape in the case of these four elements, I did not claim to have awakened to the unsurpassed perfect enlightenment in this world with its devas, Måra, and Brahmå, in this generation with its recluses and brahmins, its devas and humans...The knowledge and vision arose in me: ‘Unshakeable is my liberation of mind; this is my last birth; now there is no more re-becoming" SN14.31 (2) Before My Enlightenment
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

Stephen K wrote:I took the term "standpoints" from here. Does the "Three Standpoints" sound OK?
If you have to give a name to them, I'd go for "The 3 Aspects". "Standpoints" don't make sense here.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Stiphan wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:19 pm assada (enjoyment), adinava (danger) and nissarana (escape) - what is the collective name for these concepts?
They don't have one, but if one were needed, then "four noble truths compressed to three" would do, based on the equivalences given in the Nettipakaraṇa Atthakathā:

dukkha = ādīnava
samudaya = assāda
magga & nirodha = nissaraṇa
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)