Few beginner questions

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BlueLotus

Few beginner questions

Post by BlueLotus »

So I am new to the whole thing. I have been around but I have never really seriously meditated or read suthras. I have two questions. May seen silly but just wondering :embarassed:

Did the Buddha meditate or is meditative state his noraml state after enlightenment?
If I read suthras, where should I start?
mikenz66

Re: Few beginner questions

Post by mikenz66 »

BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Thank you! :anjali:
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

BlueLotus wrote:So I am new to the whole thing. I have been around but I have never really seriously meditated or read suthras. I have two questions. May seen silly but just wondering :embarassed:

Did the Buddha meditate or is meditative state his noraml state after enlightenment?
If I read suthras, where should I start?
I always recommend In the Buddha's Words by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi to newcomers. It's a collection of suttas that give a great general picture of the Buddha's teachings and is organized by topic.
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

This is my standard recommendation.
a)Read BuddhismCourse. (Take about 12 hours to read and give you a good idea about the teaching)
http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/PDF_BuddhismCourse/

b)Print a copy of this Dhamma Chart and refer to it while studding Buddhism.
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16785

c) Read Buddha’s Teaching by Narada. Start from chapter 15.
http://www.buddhanet.net/pdf_file/buddh ... gsurw6.pdf
You are ready to go!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Thank you!
:anjali:

My friend here asked me to read the majima nikaya but it is overwhelming and very big like the bible. I needed something light and simple to get me started.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

BlueLotus wrote:Thank you!

My friend here asked me to read the majima nikaya but it is overwhelming and very big like the bible. I needed something light and simple to get me started.
Yeah, the four Nikayas (excluding the fifth: the Khuddaka) are very tome-like. The book I recommended has suttas from at least 3 of them and is much more readable than jumping straight into the Majjhima or something.
DhammaOS

Post by DhammaOS »

Mkoll wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:Thank you!

Yeah, the four Nikayas (excluding the fifth: the Khuddaka) are very tome-like. The book I recommended has suttas from at least 3 of them and is much more readable than jumping straight into the Majjhima or something.
:goodpost: I would also like to throw my support behind Bhikku Bodhi's In the Buddha's Words as well as a beginner myself. I think it is one of those books that will serve you well when you are more advanced as well since it is so well organized. The introductory material in each section is also very nice. :twothumbsup:
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami
BlueLotus

Post by BlueLotus »

Thank you!