What is it that clings?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: What is it that clings?

Postby catmoon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:58 am

If nobody plays a guitar, there is no sound.
If no one kicks a ball, there is no game.
If nobody clings, there is no clinging.

It is the person that clings, but the person is not what he appears to be.

Hmm. I just made that up, but it looks ok to me. So far.
Counter points, anyone?
catmoon

Postby Ben » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:27 am

Dear being5

That which clings?
-- an interesting question!

I am reminded of something Bhikkhu Bodhi wrote on sankhara:

Sankhara is derived from the prefix sam (=con), "together", and the verb karoti, "to make". The noun straddles both sides of the active-passive divide. Thus sankharas are both things which put together, construct, and compound other things, and the things that are put together, constructed, and compounded...

(2) As the fourth of the five aggregates, sankhara is defined as the six classes of volitions (cha cetanakaya, III 60, 25-28), that is, volition regarding the six types of sense objects. Hence again I render it volitional formations. But the sankharakhanda has a wider compass than the sankhara of dependent origination series, comprising all instances of volition and not only those that are kammically active. In the Abhidhamma Pitaka and the commentaries, the sankharakhanda further serves as an umbrella category for classifying all mental concomittants of consciousness apart from feeling and perception. It thus includes all wholesome, unwholesome, and variable mental factors mentioned but not formally classified among the aggregates in the Sutta Pitaka

-- Introduction to A translation of the Samyutta Nikaya, Bhikkhu Bodhi
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:21 am

Clinging is doing the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Nibbida » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:11 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

Q: What is it that clings?
A: Clinging

Metta,
Retro. :)

This is the way I would say it. If I would elaborate at all, it would be to say that there is no thing that clings, only the activity of clinging. It's a process, not an object.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana
Nibbida

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion