Assaji

Re: Why isn't the Visuddhimagga free?

Post by Assaji »

Hello,

There's a free Visuddhimagga translation at:

The path of purity;
being a translation of Buddhaghosa's Visuddhimagga by Pe Maung Tin
([1922])

http://www.archive.org/details/pathofpu ... 01budduoft" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta, Dmytro
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Thanks Dmytro,
Dmytro wrote: There's a free Visuddhimagga translation at:...
But only the first volume... :cry:

http://www.palitext.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Path of Purity,
tr. Pe Maung Tin, 3 volumes, 1923, 1929, 1931, reprinted as one
volume 1975
ISBN 008 8 £45.30 « Add to Basket »
One of the most influential Pāli texts, this compendium of Buddhist doctrine and metaphysics is the most important book written by Buddhaghosa. It provides a systematic exposition of Buddhist teaching and is also a detailed manual for meditation. (5th century C.E.)
Translation of Visuddhimagga.

Mike
Individual

Post by Individual »

mikenz66 wrote:Thanks Dmytro,
Dmytro wrote: There's a free Visuddhimagga translation at:...
But only the first volume... :cry:

The Path of Purity,
volume 1975
1923-31? Are the original translators of that work even still alive?
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Individual wrote: 1923-31? Are the original translators of that work even still alive?
Presumably not, which I guess is why it says:
Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT
I'm not up on all the copyright laws but presumably since Venerable Ñanamoli died in 1960 his translation of the Visuddhimagga, and his various other works, will be out of Copyright some time soon (50 years: 2010?). At least the versions printed back in the 1950s... Perhaps that is why BPS is planning a free PDF version soon...

Mike
Individual

Post by Individual »

mikenz66 wrote:
Individual wrote: 1923-31? Are the original translators of that work even still alive?
Presumably not, which I guess is why it says:
Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT
I'm not up on all the copyright laws but presumably since Venerable Ñanamoli died in 1960 his translation of the Visuddhimagga, and his various other works, will be out of Copyright some time soon (50 years: 2010?). At least the versions printed back in the 1950s... Perhaps that is why BPS is planning a free PDF version soon...

Mike
But what about Pe Maung Tin's translation? There's apparently a public domain translation out there somewhere, but it's out of print, and people with paperback copies simply aren't scanning it?

I bet somebody at the PTS has a copy.

The Diamond Sutra
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Individual wrote: But what about Pe Maung Tin's translation?
Presumably it's all out of copyright. Why don't you go to your library, request to interloan the second and third volumes, scan them, and put them on a web site?

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:
Presumably it's all out of copyright. Why don't you go to your library, request to interloan the second and third volumes, scan them, and put them on a web site?

Mike
Making the book free on the web would take money away from further PTS projects, so better that he buys a copy from the PTS, so that the PTS at least can get some support for having produced the book.
The Path of Purity,
volume 1975
ISBN 008 8 £45.30 « Add to Basket »
One of the most influential Pāli texts, this compendium of Buddhist doctrine and metaphysics is the most important book written by Buddhaghosa. It provides a systematic exposition of Buddhist teaching and is also a detailed manual for meditation. (5th century C.E.)
http://www.palitext.com/palitext/tran.htm#tt34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:Better that he buys a copy from the PTS, so that the PTS can get some support for having produced the book.
Assuming of course he can afford to. PTS publications aren't the cheapest going around. Nor are they, as you point out, necessarily the best translations despite the premium prices charged.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tilt,
tiltbillings wrote:Better that he buys a copy from the PTS, so that the PTS can get some support for having produced the book.
Assuming of course he can afford to. PTS publications aren't the cheapest going around. Nor are they, as you point out, necessarily the best translations despite the premium prices charged.

Metta,
The money does not go into PTS' pockets. It gets turned around for further projects. Also, the quality of the their printing is quite good. Copying this book and making it free to everyone without working through the the PTS is theft, depriving the PTS of being able to support further projects, which then deprives us from further good quality translations and critical editions of the Pali texts. That's the way to make the Dhamma available to everyone.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Sponsor a book

In the past, many people have made donations in the name of family or friends to help with the printing costs of new books and reprints. We would like to encourage members and others to continue this tradition. The name of the person in whose memory the donation is made will be included in the book. In addition to being a fitting memorial, donations of this type will help further the aims of the Society and keep prices as low as possible.

There is no minimum or maximum set for donations towards printing books, any amount will be acknowledged.

The donor can specify a book that he / she wishes to sponsor, though it should be noted that some books sell more quickly than others and donors may have to wait long if a slow selling book is chosen which we still have in stock.

If no book is being specified, the donation will be used for the publication that is being printed / reprinted next.

The acknowledgement lasts for one print / reprint only, which usually produces 150 to 200 copies of one publication. The cost of one such print run is around £ 2,000.

The acknowledgement will read "The printing of this book was made possible by the generous donation of [name of person]". Acknowledgements "in memory of" can also be made.

For instructions on how to pay please see above. Our contact details can be found here.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Hi Tilt,

I'm not a copyright expert, but I suggested finding an old copy because I'm not sure if it is legal to copy the latest PTS version, even if the original copyright has expired, since it would have new typesetting, etc.

And what if the author transferred the copyright to PTS? Would copying an old copy still be legal?

Issues like this come up with CDs of old recordings. The old recording may be out of copyright, but the new CD is copyright (as I thought I understood it...).

Mike
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

mikenz66 wrote:Hi Tilt,

I'm not a copyright expert, but I suggested finding an old copy because I'm not sure if it is legal to copy the latest PTS version, even if the original copyright has expired, since it would have new typesetting, etc.

And what if the author transferred the copyright to PTS? Would copying an old copy still be legal?

Issues like this come up with CDs of old recordings. The old recording may be out of copyright, but the new CD is copyright (as I thought I understood it...).

Mike
Equating what is legal with what is moral is not always a one-to-one.

Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
Making the book free on the web would take money away from further PTS projects
That doesn't seem to be very important if Pe Maung Tin's translation falls out of print, isn't scanned, and then ceases to exist entirely.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

tiltbillings wrote:
retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Tilt,

Metta,
The money does not go into PTS' pockets. It gets turned around for further projects. Also, the quality of the their printing is quite good. Copying this book and making it free to everyone without working through the the PTS is theft, depriving the PTS of being able to support further projects, which then deprives us from further good quality translations and critical editions of the Pali texts. That's the way to make the Dhamma available to everyone.
Tiltbillings, I asked this question earlier in the thread but I'd like to ask it again: Do you think that a freely available Tipitaka or other Buddhist texts would be beneficial? Do you think it will ever happen?

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Post by Individual »

mikenz66 wrote:

Mike
I doubt I could find it at MY local library. Of the allegedly "easily accessible" Tipitaka, all they have is the Majjhima Nikaya. Maybe they could request it from another library... Did PTS ever deliver a copy to the library of congress? Do they deliver copies of their work to the library of congress right now?

The Diamond Sutra