Ornament of Lay Followers

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ben

Post by Ben »

In my in my in-tray today, news of the publication in English of the 'Ornament of Lay Followers' published by PTS and available via Pariyatti.

Description
Written in the 12th Century by Sinhalese monk Ananda, this book is considered the most detailed treatise for lay followers handed down by the Theravada tradition. It is now, for the first time, translated into English.

Last edited by DNS on Sat May 30, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Mkoll

Re: Ornament of Lay Followers

Post by Mkoll »

Thank you, Ben.

:anjali:

With metta,

James
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
jrl

Post by jrl »

Does anyone happen to know when this will become available? I am very interested
Khalil Bodhi

Post by Khalil Bodhi »

Mine is on its way from the UK from PTS. http://www.palitext.com/
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

The Stoic Buddhist: https://www.quora.com/q/dwxmcndlgmobmeu ... pOR2p0uAdH
My Practice Blog:
http://khalilbodhi.wordpress.com
DhammaOS

Post by DhammaOS »

Out of stock... :cry:

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy at some point.
"There are, O monks, these four lights. What four? The light of the moon, the light of the sun, the light of fire, and the light of wisdom. Of these four lights, the light of wisdom is supreme."-AN 4:143

Buddham saranam gacchami, Dhammam saranam gacchami, Sangham saranam gacchami
mal4mac

Post by mal4mac »

DhammaOS wrote:Out of stock... :cry:

Can't wait to get my hands on a copy at some point.
http://www.palitext.com/palitext/rec.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Mal
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Finally read this...

I don't think there was a single mention of mindfulness, or really of any Samadhi at all, which is interesting while confirming a suspicion I've had for a while.

Anyone else read this thing?
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

daverupa wrote:Finally read this...

I don't think there was a single mention of mindfulness, or really of any Samadhi at all, which is interesting while confirming a suspicion I've had for a while.

So how did they practice?
bodom

Post by bodom »

daverupa wrote:Finally read this...

It's mentioned in passing only. What suspicion is that?

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Basically, that modern emphases on lay meditation are just that - modern.

After Asoka, at least, it was Sila for the layfolk, Vinaya & Samadhi for the monastics, and Panna for rare folk... or no one because it's such a faraway goal... best just to ask for rebirth in heaven... etc.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

Ben

Post by Ben »

daverupa wrote:Anyone else read this thing?
Yes, I did.
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Do you recall reading anything about satipatthana?

Ben

Post by Ben »

daverupa wrote:Do you recall reading anything about satipatthana?
Hi Dave,
I don't have my copy with me. As bodom has mentioned, mindfulness practice, from memory, is in there in passing.
I actually think it's very valuable work and at least for me demonstrated the depth of lay practice and portrays lay practice before significant contact with the west. The fact that satipatthana is not mentioned in anything other than passing is neither here nor there, for me. In fact, I would have been surprised if it was treated in detail.
Kind regards,
Ben

- Sutta Nipata 3.725

daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Ben wrote:portrays lay practice before significant contact with the west.
This is why I read it, as well. It isn't so much noting a here or a there, either, but simply noting what's differently placed, due to the above.

A monastic would have simply taught satipatthana; this manual was, as the introduction notes, for layfolk without any background in Buddhism at all, and as such begins in an appropriate place, discussing Sila in detail.

It's a cosmological pedagogy that, often, simply doesn't work with many modern folk, however, which is one reason why meditation has come to the fore, I think. Discussing Sila as an adornment for the mind, instead of as a cosmological velocity, is also more useful to hear about in many modern contexts.

Ben

Post by Ben »

daverupa wrote:It's a cosmological pedagogy that, often, simply doesn't work with many modern folk, however, which is one reason why meditation has come to the fore, I think.
I agree, Dave.

- Sutta Nipata 3.725