The right Right View

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: The right Right View

Post by mikenz66 »

It seems to me that a sub-question that keeps emerging on this thread is:
  • Do the Suttas, with no elaboration from either ancient or modern teachers, give sufficient information to establish right view, and the rest of the Path?
It's somewhat of an academic question, since I doubt that it's possible to find anyone who started reading the suttas with no commentary at all. I.e. no instruction from a teacher, no reading the introductions and footnotes, no reading suggestions of which suttas to start with, so on...

:anjali:
Mike
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

mikenz66 wrote:It seems to me that a sub-question that keeps emerging on this thread is:
  • Do the Suttas, with no elaboration from either ancient or modern teachers, give sufficient information to establish right view, and the rest of the Path?
Yes, for those with enough wisdom.

IMHO, if one truly believes that:
  • *tanha leads to dukkha, and
    if tanha is quenched, dukkha fades.
or even more briefly:
  • "quench all tanha!"
That is right view.

*tanha includes craving/attachment for theories, self, Self views. This is difference between Dhamma and non-Dhamma.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

And how do you know that this will put you on the right track? Just a hunch?

Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi Alex
I agree with you in principal but not in practice.
Do you know any Arahant in todays world?
If I know at least one Arahant, it is going to be a complete new ball game for me.
Perhaps I will become a monk today.
:)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alex123 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:I do not understand your question.
What is the proper context?

----

As I understand it, most teachers teach a strict method which doesn't advise to read books, or to actively think about Dhamma.
Are you talking about during retreats, or in general? And what do these guys have to do with what we are talking about?: Patanjali as commented by Swami Vivekenanda
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

mikenz66 wrote:And how do you know that this will put you on the right track? Just a hunch?

Mike
Confidence in the suttas + I see value in removal of all tanha.

Call it what you will, but I believe that.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:
Alex123 wrote:
tiltbillings wrote:I do not understand your question.
What is the proper context?

----

As I understand it, most teachers teach a strict method which doesn't advise to read books, or to actively think about Dhamma.
Are you talking about during retreats, or in general? And what do these guys have to do with what we are talking about?: Patanjali as commented by Swami Vivekenanda
I had in mind at least one non-Buddhist tradition based on Samadhi and jhana (dhyana in Sanskrit).

Even in Buddhist methods, on retreats, one is discouraged from reading or contemplating Dhamma. Just do this, this and that.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Alex123 wrote:Confidence in the suttas + I see value in removal of all tanha.

I call it saddha.

Well spoken, Alex.

:reading: :buddha1: :reading:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

SarathW wrote:Hi Alex
Do you know any Arahant in todays world?
How could I or you possibly know that?
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alex123 wrote:
----

I had in mind at least one non-Buddhist tradition based on Samadhi and jhana (dhyana in Sanskrit).
Okay, and they have not a thing to do with what I or Mike were talking about.
Even in Buddhist methods, on retreats, one is discouraged from reading or contemplating Dhamma. Just do this, this and that.
Given the point of a retreat is to cut back on distractions and over-active thinking, for that short period not reading a book is probably not a bad thing. During the retreat, as I already said, there is Dhamma interwoven into the meditation instruction, and certainly Dhamma is the focus of the evening Dhamma talk (following the IMS model), and certainly Dhamma/practice is the focus of the question and answer sessions. Obviously one is going to think about Dhamma when not doing formal meditation, and one also doing a formal and informal meditation practice that is focused on Dhamma.

Also, there are study retreats, where reading suttas can be part of one's practice as is meditation.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alex123 wrote:
mikenz66 wrote:And how do you know that this will put you on the right track? Just a hunch?

Mike
Confidence in the suttas + I see value in removal of all tanha.

But how do you really know that your Right View is the right Right View?

Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:But how do you really know that your Right View is the right Right View?
I believe and see its benefits. Even if it "was not taught", this is my belief that it is worthwhile goal.

Also it is very frequently taught in the suttas in one way or another. 4NT is expanded version of it, and so is Dependent Origination.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

tiltbillings wrote:Given the point of a retreat is to cut back on distractions and over-active thinking, for that short period not reading a book is probably not a bad thing. During the retreat, as I already said, there is Dhamma interwoven into the meditation instruction, and certainly Dhamma is the focus of the evening Dhamma talk (following the IMS model), and certainly Dhamma/practice is the focus of the question and answer sessions. Obviously one is going to think about Dhamma when not doing formal meditation, and one also doing a formal and informal meditation practice that is focused on Dhamma.

Also, there are study retreats, where reading suttas can be part of one's practice as is meditation.
good points.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

tiltbillings wrote:But how do you really know that your Right View is the right Right View?
When you know certain acts of body, speech, & mind are now impossible for you.

Over-estimation of oneself is the danger here, of course, so it's a matter of overlooking an underlying tendency, or else seeing truly that certain of them are uprooted.

Since over-estimation is a danger, patience and practice instead of making claims for oneself seems to be the best approach.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

Alex123 wrote:
I believe and see its benefits. Even if it "was not taught", this is my belief that it is worthwhile goal.
So, if I were a Buddhist who did not believe in literal rebirth, but my practice was beneficial it lessening of my suffering, and there was an increase in compassion and generosity, and insight into the conditioned nature of self, and I believed that this is very much in accordance with the sutta teachings, would I have right Right View, or any Right View at all?