Monks/Nuns and Music

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
pink_trike

Re: Monks/Nuns and Music

Post by pink_trike »

Bankei wrote:The learned and respected vice-abbot at my neighbouring Wat in Thailand like R&B music. It can be heard sometimes from his kuti. Most of the monks in the Wat like to watch movies and I was surprised to find out my favourite monk there is into Korean dramas which he watched on his mobile phone.

Once some of the monks smuggled TV and game (Playstation?) console in and they all stayed up late playing games. Some of them even missed bindabat the next morning.

Bankei
...and this is far from rare in Thailand.
Vision is Mind
Mind is Empty
Emptiness is Clear Light
Clear Light is Union
Union is Great Bliss

- Dawa Gyaltsen

---

Disclaimer: I'm a non-religious practitioner of Theravada, Mahayana/Vajrayana, and Tibetan Bon Dzogchen mind-training.
Laurens

Post by Laurens »

With regards to asking about the use of music/instruments etc in Mahayana you could ask at http://www.dharmawheel.net for some replies from a Mahayana perspective.

I hope that helps
Laurens
"If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings Bankei,

That is rather saddening.

If I were to go into the homeless life, I would not have any of my music CDs with me (and believe me, there's a few) and that is a sacrifice I would make, and it would be a sacrifice commensurate with the gravity of the choice at hand.

If they're doing these things, what have they actually renounced? If they can't even adhere to the 8 precepts, what hope of 227 or so?

:?

Metta,
Retro. :)
Hello Retro

Yes, it is extremely rare to find renunciate monks in Thailand - I have never seen, heard of, or met one. I think there are 2 Buddhisms, the ideal, covered by the Pali books, and the reality.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Bankei wrote: Yes, it is extremely rare to find renunciate monks in Thailand - I have never seen, heard of, or met one. I think there are 2 Buddhisms, the ideal, covered by the Pali books, and the reality.
Hi Bankei,

Is it that bad? I thought the Ajahn Chah type forest monks were pretty strict on the Vinaya? The monks you were referring to are probably not from the Ajahn Chah tradition, but are there not many Ajahn Chah monasteries in Thailand? I thought I read somewhere that some of them have become a little lax since the passing of Ajahn Chah, but in general, you can find many who do follow the Vinaya.
Bankei

Post by Bankei »

Hi David

in Thailand there are thousands of temples and hundreds of thousands of monks. I have been to Wat Pah Nanachat, home of the foreign monks of Ajahn Chah lineage. I wasn't impressed with them. The ones there are strict followers of the vinaya, but by the letter not the spirit. Pride runs very high there and there is a lack of friendliness that you get in Thai temples - but this could be because of all the weirdo western hippie types that keep turning up. They offer little teachings and discourage reading so their understanding of Buddhism is often lacking. I have heard there are all sort of new-age type stuff being talking about there by the monks etc.

There are a few strict temples out there. I have heard of Ajahn Mahabua and his temple, but never actually been there. He and the monks there seem to be well practiced. But because of his popularity large amounts of 'dana' is given. This is managed by lay people and Thailand is notorious for corruption. Mahabua also dabbles in politics. During the financial crisis he organised a campaign for people to 'save the nation' and donate gold. Huge amounts of gold was donated and he gave it to the Government. Then he criticsed them on what they did with it, they didn't follow his economic advice. He also has publicly criticised politicians such as Thaksin. He also has, allegedly, taught there is a 'citta that is eternal'. All strange behaviour for a forest monk.

Bankei
-----------------------
Bankei
appicchato

Post by appicchato »

Bankei wrote: All strange behaviour for a forest monk.
Isn't (at times) everyone's?...