vibhajjavada

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

vibhajjavada

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Hi All,
This is from one of TheDhammas sites
http://vibhajjavada.com/default.aspx wrote:The Buddha did not call his followers Buddhists and in fact in at least one instance recommended that Buddhism be called vibhajjavada, which means “doctrine of analysis.” The followers would be called vibhajjavadins, which would basically mean “analysts” or “those who analyze.”

Where s this found in the canon?
I know King Asoka said that the Doctorine of Analysis was the correct one (roughly) but where in the canon is his found
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: vibhajjavada

Postby Individual » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Manapa wrote:Hi All,
This is from one of TheDhammas sites
http://vibhajjavada.com/default.aspx wrote:The Buddha did not call his followers Buddhists and in fact in at least one instance recommended that Buddhism be called vibhajjavada, which means “doctrine of analysis.” The followers would be called vibhajjavadins, which would basically mean “analysts” or “those who analyze.”

Where s this found in the canon?
I know King Asoka said that the Doctorine of Analysis was the correct one (roughly) but where in the canon is his found

I've never heard that before. I believe there's a passage where the Buddha says he is one who teaches by analysis (Vibhajjavaadii).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibhajjavada
The term vibhajja-vādī occurs in MN 99 and AN X.94, though not in the sense of a separate school, but as a characteristic of bodhi and the Shakyamuni Buddha himself: "Now, by blaming what is blamable and praising what is praiseworthy, the Blessed One is a 'discriminating teacher' (vibhajja-vadī) and is not one-sided in his teaching" (AN X.94).
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:35 pm

Hi Manapa,

I read that in one of Bhikkhu Bodhi's writings, but don't remember which one. I know the Buddha sometimes referred to the teachings and the followers as making an analysis, but since I only read the Canon in the English translations, I don't know the exact spots where 'vibhajjavada' was used.

I am pretty sure it is used much more than the one or two references shown in wikipedia. Perhaps one of our resident Pali experts knows the exact passages.
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 pm

Doesnt exactly trip off the tongue does it ? " Hello I am a Vibhajavadaist ".
PeterB

Postby David N. Snyder » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:16 pm

PeterB wrote:Doesnt exactly trip off the tongue does it ? " Hello I am a Vibhajavadaist ".

:D Also, not very easy to spell.

Just e-mail me anytime, david@ v i b h a j j . . . ah, forget it. :tongue:
David N. Snyder
Site Admin

Postby PeterB » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:24 pm

I had to keep checking the post above for spelling...and I am not sure I got it right. :smile:
PeterB

Return to General Theravāda discussion