vibhajjavada

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Cittasanto

vibhajjavada

Post by Cittasanto »

Hi All,
This is from one of TheDhammas sites
http://vibhajjavada.com/default.aspx wrote:The Buddha did not call his followers Buddhists and in fact in at least one instance recommended that Buddhism be called vibhajjavada, which means “doctrine of analysis.” The followers would be called vibhajjavadins, which would basically mean “analysts” or “those who analyze.”
Where s this found in the canon?
I know King Asoka said that the Doctorine of Analysis was the correct one (roughly) but where in the canon is his found
Blog, Suttas, Aj Chah, Facebook.

He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them.
But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion …
He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them … he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.
John Stuart Mill
Individual

Re: vibhajjavada

Post by Individual »

Manapa wrote:Hi All,
This is from one of TheDhammas sites
http://vibhajjavada.com/default.aspx wrote:The Buddha did not call his followers Buddhists and in fact in at least one instance recommended that Buddhism be called vibhajjavada, which means “doctrine of analysis.” The followers would be called vibhajjavadins, which would basically mean “analysts” or “those who analyze.”
Where s this found in the canon?
I know King Asoka said that the Doctorine of Analysis was the correct one (roughly) but where in the canon is his found
I've never heard that before. I believe there's a passage where the Buddha says he is one who teaches by analysis (Vibhajjavaadii).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vibhajjavada" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The term vibhajja-vādī occurs in MN 99 and AN X.94, though not in the sense of a separate school, but as a characteristic of bodhi and the Shakyamuni Buddha himself: "Now, by blaming what is blamable and praising what is praiseworthy, the Blessed One is a 'discriminating teacher' (vibhajja-vadī) and is not one-sided in his teaching" (AN X.94).
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Hi Manapa,

I read that in one of Bhikkhu Bodhi's writings, but don't remember which one. I know the Buddha sometimes referred to the teachings and the followers as making an analysis, but since I only read the Canon in the English translations, I don't know the exact spots where 'vibhajjavada' was used.

I am pretty sure it is used much more than the one or two references shown in wikipedia. Perhaps one of our resident Pali experts knows the exact passages.
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

Doesnt exactly trip off the tongue does it ? " Hello I am a Vibhajavadaist ".
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

PeterB wrote:Doesnt exactly trip off the tongue does it ? " Hello I am a Vibhajavadaist ".
:D Also, not very easy to spell.

Just e-mail me anytime, david@ v i b h a j j . . . ah, forget it. :tongue:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

I had to keep checking the post above for spelling...and I am not sure I got it right. :smile:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

So, what is vibhajjavada?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
paul

Post by paul »

According to the Buddhist Dictionary, it means that the Blessed One is a 'discriminating teacher', that is he analyses each situation on its merits :
"Criticizing what should be criticized, praising what should be praised, the Blessed One is one who speaks making distinctions, not one who speaks categorically on this matter."---AN 10:94

"[The Blessed One said:] "Well done, householder. Well done. That is how you should periodically & righteously refute those foolish men. I don't say that all asceticism is to be pursued, nor do I say that all asceticism is not to be pursued. I don't say that all observances should be observed, nor do I say that all observances should not be observed. I don't say that all exertions are to be pursued, nor do I say that all exertions are not to be pursued. I don't say that all forfeiture should be forfeited, nor do I say that all forfeiture should not be forfeited. I don't say that all release is to be used for release, nor do I say that all release is not to be used for release."
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Paul.
:goodpost:
(all) Please discuss this in detail.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

I actually prefer this term - 'Buddhist' sounds like I believe in the Buddha, as though it were a personal religion like Christianity.

Vibhajjavadin, analyst, discriminator, are much better terms for what is actually going on. Buddhas only point the way.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Cittasanto wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:46 pm
Cool necropost; blast from the past. I don't have that domain name any more; it was too hard to spell, so I let it expire.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

PeterB wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:06 pm Doesnt exactly trip off the tongue does it ? " Hello I am a Vibhajavadaist ".
vibhajjavādin*
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

buddhasāsana/gotamasāsana is a term in the suttas, basically meaning "religion of the buddha" or "religion of gotama"
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I actually prefer this term
I like it too.
It represents the real meaning of Buddha's teaching.
Vibhajjavadin does not have any biased based on religion, country, sex, color or language.
They praise the correct views and they disparage the wrong view irrespective of where it comes from.
It appears Vibhajjavada is gathering its momentum in Sri Lanka.
paul

Post by paul »

I believe this article is relevant, but want to draw attention to the emphasis on morality:
https://www.buddhistinquiry.org/article ... aha-sutta/