Does Quantum Mechanics contradict Buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
catmoon

Re: Does Quantum Mechanics contradict Buddhism

Post by catmoon »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
catmoon wrote:OMG you understand Hamiltonians? That's the concept that stopped me in my tracks. I would be greatly in your debt if you could clear that blockage for me. I can tolerate small doses of linear algebra.
Well, Hermetian operators in general aren't too tricky. Think of them as computer programme subroutines. The important thing is to do the subroutines in the right order. I thoroughly recommend you take it to a physics forum though. :)
I tried to learn em from a book. The result was that I did not learn to use them. Sadly, as is the case in such books, the authors also neglected to tell me what they were FOR and what one might operate ON with them. So I was left with "Here is a completely abstract idea that you cannot understand, whose use we will not explain, but the learning of which is crucial to further advancement."

I was a bit frustrated by that.Image
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

catmoon wrote:what they were FOR and what one might operate ON with them.
Well look, the Hamiltonian is a hermetian operator used to calculate the expectiation value of the energy of a system. It takes away the need for the Schrodinger equation (which gets REALLY hairy for more than two particles). I think if you are interested it might be worth taking a course. It's never too late to get a degree with the Open University. I am not going to be able to teach you well enough I'm afraid. Maybe after I have some teaching experience, but not yet. Also, this is a Buddhist forum ;) it's good to be interested, it's good to question... but I can't give good enough answers, especially here :(

Good luck :)

Edit: oh yeah, and they operate on wave functions.
catmoon

Post by catmoon »

Mawkish1983 wrote:
catmoon wrote:what they were FOR and what one might operate ON with them.
Well look, the Hamiltonian is a hermetian operator used to calculate the expectiation value of the energy of a system. It takes away the need for the Schrodinger equation (which gets REALLY hairy for more than two particles). I think if you are interested it might be worth taking a course. It's never too late to get a degree with the Open University. I am not going to be able to teach you well enough I'm afraid. Maybe after I have some teaching experience, but not yet. Also, this is a Buddhist forum ;) it's good to be interested, it's good to question... but I can't give good enough answers, especially here :(

Good luck :)

Edit: oh yeah, and they operate on wave functions.

Bypass the Schrodinger equation? Merciful heavens that sounds like a monstrous work saver. Just think: The fact that Hamiltonians exist must mean that somewhere there was a guy who had cracked the Schrodinger equation so many times, so many different ways, and was so smart, that a shortcut became apparent to him. Mind boggler.

ok enough physics fer today.tnx.
Mawkish1983

Post by Mawkish1983 »

catmoon wrote:Bypass the Schrodinger equation?
Well, not bypass. The Hamiltonian IS the Schrodinger equation, just in a more workable form. But, yeah, enough physics :)