Is strong nostalgia a side effect of practice?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
No_Mind

Is strong nostalgia a side effect of practice?

Post by No_Mind »

I know that Buddhism is not related to psychiatry but ...

I keep having strong bouts of nostalgia from the time I began my meditation practice about three years back. The memories are mostly related to the time between ages 8 - 17. My memories are not good memories or bad; I have no yearning want to go back to that time .. they are just strong, vivid memories.

When I did not have a meditation practice/ was not a Buddhist, I was a much more active person. Being a Buddhist unfortunately makes one inactive (not including long walks in the park as activity). A Buddhist retracts into a shell, keeps to himself/herself. That maybe good for equanimity but bad for mental well being in other ways since new memories are not added at same rate as a normal person adds them.

One obvious way is to observe how they arise and pass away during mindfulness meditation. But I am not meditating all day.

During the recent Euro Finals between Portugal and France, I had very strong recall of Rudd Gullit and Marco van Basten playing in the 1988 finals (28 years ago). At times I half expected to see Rudd Gullit in an orange Dutch jersey, his locks flying charge forward and try to make a break for the Russian goal (only there was no orange Dutch jersey on the field and no Russian goalpost either).

It is very unnerving.

Has anyone been through the same? Is it something every man in his 40s goes through or is this side effect of a calm mind (none of my friends have such vivid recall so I guessed it might be due to meditation). I am not taking any kind of psychiatric medication nor do I have any real psychiatric problems. I have had passing low grade depression now and then (who does not have them) and usually been told by psychiatrists to snap out of it and make new memories or get engaged in new activities.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Spiny Norman

Re: Is strong nostalgia a side effect of practice?

Post by Spiny Norman »

No_Mind wrote:I keep having strong bouts of nostalgia from the time I began my meditation practice about three years back. The memories are mostly related to the time between ages 8 - 17. My memories are not good memories or bad; I have no yearning want to go back to that time .. they are just strong, vivid memories.
I sometimes get old memories "bubbling up" when my mind has calmed down. I think it's best to just note them and return to the meditation object.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

Hi No_Mind,

Since I took refuge and started meditating, I have experienced more random memories from earlier in my life pop up from time to time, seemingly completely unrelated to whatever I'm doing at the time. Sometimes this occurs during meditation, sometimes outside of it. I've also noticed more "deja vu" type perceptions, but these seem to occur outside of meditation only as far as I can recall.

Sabbe saññā anicca.
All perceptions (memories) are impermanent.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

No_Mind wrote:I know that Buddhism is not related to psychiatry but ...

I keep having strong bouts of nostalgia from the time I began my meditation practice about three years back. The memories are mostly related to the time between ages 8 - 17. My memories are not good memories or bad; I have no yearning want to go back to that time .. they are just strong, vivid memories.[...]
Those who meditate with energy and persistence will see many kinds of experience intensified, including memory recall. When I was a young man in my early 20's there was a period of some weeks (Jan.1994) where I'd meditate for eight or ten hours a day without moving. I would stir, finally, and each time I would be amazed, once again, that so many hours had passed, while I was certain it felt like I'd spent no more than an hour or two in stillness. One evening during this period I went for a long aimless walk and after an hour or two I found myself in the city center. There was a woman waiting at a bus stop and I happened to look her in the eyes. There's no word for what I saw there. If I had to coin a phrase I would call it ancient sorrow. It startled me very much and I quickly walked away. But I saw it once again, and again, confronting me, in each face that I met. I wish I knew then what I know today. I would have recognized the deepening of perception for just that. I would have been prepared to manage or even preclude the strong aversion that was soon to overwhelm me, and which became a significant obstacle for many years.

Wisdom springs from meditation;
without meditation wisdom wanes.
Having known these two paths of progress and decline,
let one so conduct oneself that one's wisdom may increase.

- Dhammapada 20.282
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
spacenick

Post by spacenick »

That nostalgia that arises for you, and is uncovered by meditation, is a tiny preview of what happens at death (the famous memories unfolding in front of one's eyes, etc). This is Mara trying to keep you under his sway, as he notices that you are trying to gain emancipation (understand my use of Mara as a psychological simile here)

This is more than normal, and likely a sign of progress (to be understood as: a sign you're weakening your attachments)

My advice: do not indulge, but investigate (for me, as I would really investigate the memories brought up by nostalgia, I would then realize "hey wait a minute, that perception is flawed: I was actually not really happy at that time!". Or if you were really happy at that time, it is a good way to bring up the perception of anicca)
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Perhaps if you identify which part of your brain is bringing up the recall you will have an answer to your question.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded