Is Theravada Buddhism a Religion?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
justindesilva

Re: Is Theravada Buddhism a Religion?

Post by justindesilva »

Caodemarte wrote:Whether or not Threavada is called a religion depends on how you use and define the word (to state the obvious). it is classified as a religion as the word is used by scholars of religion. A religion in this usage by scholars is a belief system that deals with ultimate reality, has a sense of a non-mundane goal, and has faith (rites and rituals). Note that belief in God is not in the definition. So Confucianism is called a religion. In the same way, the communist movement could be considered as a religion.

My own Buddhist teacher used to say that Buddhism was definitely a religion because it was that which laid behind all religions.
I bet that no body can give an exact word in pali for religion.
Then I believe that Lord budda as of his enlightenment explained to his first five disciples the facts of existence of beings at Damsak pavatum sutra.
Firstly suffering and then the ending of suffering.
The enlightenment of budda being Bodhi
Lord budda explained the effects and or cause and effects of natural phenomena of the world, which is Darma.
The order of beings who took this message to beings is called sangha.
Hence buddhism is not a religion but a message to end suffering as budda damma and Sangha.
If buddhism is a religion then he would not have advised the kalama s to find there own answer to free them from their suffering but to seek their own philosophy or answer .
davidbrainerd

Post by davidbrainerd »

justindesilva wrote:
Caodemarte wrote:Whether or not Threavada is called a religion depends on how you use and define the word (to state the obvious). it is classified as a religion as the word is used by scholars of religion. A religion in this usage by scholars is a belief system that deals with ultimate reality, has a sense of a non-mundane goal, and has faith (rites and rituals). Note that belief in God is not in the definition. So Confucianism is called a religion. In the same way, the communist movement could be considered as a religion.

My own Buddhist teacher used to say that Buddhism was definitely a religion because it was that which laid behind all religions.
I bet that no body can give an exact word in pali for religion.
Then I believe that Lord budda as of his enlightenment explained to his first five disciples the facts of existence of beings at Damsak pavatum sutra.
Firstly suffering and then the ending of suffering.
The enlightenment of budda being Bodhi
Lord budda explained the effects and or cause and effects of natural phenomena of the world, which is Darma.
The order of beings who took this message to beings is called sangha.
Hence buddhism is not a religion but a message to end suffering as budda damma and Sangha.
If buddhism is a religion then he would not have advised the kalama s to find there own answer to free them from their suffering but to seek their own philosophy or answer .
A rather objective definition of religion is if it involves afterlife(s) its a religion. Rebirth means its a religion.

When you make statements like "Buddhism is only about ending suffering so its not a religion" this is purposefully forgetting that "ending suffering" in Buddhism means escaping a cycle of rebirth/reincarnation.

Now secular Buddhism that does not include rebirth nor any metaphysics at all is not a religion. Its just atheism / rabid materialism with a little meditation thrown on top.
no-xit

Post by no-xit »

I think it is a religion, but I cannot say that I really believe in anything, it is more like having a gut feeling that what the Buddha taught was the truth.
_anicca_

Post by _anicca_ »

Religion is a concept.

Theravada utilizes the conditioned to reach the unconditioned.

We need not apply more labels to it.
"A virtuous monk, Kotthita my friend, should attend in an appropriate way to the five clinging-aggregates as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a dissolution, an emptiness, not-self."

:buddha1:

http://vipassanameditation.asia
perkele

Post by perkele »

no-xit wrote:I think it is a religion, but I cannot say that I really believe in anything, it is more like having a gut feeling that what the Buddha taught was the truth.
I can see that there is a difference between feelings in one's gut and the mental attitude/activity of believing (in) something.
For example I had diarrhea during the last couple of days. My gut feeling about this was not good for most of the time. But I think it did not really affect most of my beliefs in any way.
However, in your case here I really have some difficulty understanding what could be the relation between feelings in your gut and the Buddha's teachings.
:thinking:
Mohan Gnanathilake

Post by Mohan Gnanathilake »

Someone is inclined to think that Theravada Buddhism is only a religion for people living in an oriental culture, but when someone learns more about it, someone sees that it is completely different from what someone first thought. Someone learns that it is in fact a ‘way of life’ which makes for the well-being and happiness of all people, no matter what their nationality.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.
(Dhammapada 1, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
(Dhammapada 2, Yamaka Vagga – The Twin Verses)
form

Post by form »

Taking refuge in the Buddha, dharma and sangha. If like this is not a religion then what is it?

But I personally do not know if how everyone that have done so can all have the same definition of the Buddha, dharma, and the sangha. Some laypersons take their group and teacher as sangha. Does sanga mean a group of monks?
Mohan Gnanathilake

form wrote: Does sanga mean a group of monks?
The word sangha literally means ‘congregation’ or ‘community’. It is the word generally used for the order of monks. When the word sangha denotes the third Gem it has a different meaning. The sangha which is the third Gem are the ariyans.
All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind-made are they. If one speaks or acts with impure mind pain follows him like the wheel the hoof of the ox.

All thoughts begin in the mind, mind is supreme and mind –made are they. If one speaks or acts with pure mind happiness follows him like one’s shadow that never leaves.
Mohan Gnanathilake

form wrote:Taking refuge in the Buddha, dharma and sangha. If like this is not a religion then what is it?
Theravada Buddhism cannot be called a religion because it is neither a system of faith and worship. Through the study of the Buddha’s teachings, which are also called the’Dhamma’, someone learns to develop the wisdom which leads to detachment from the ‘self’ and finally to the eradication of greed, hatred and ignorance.