BUDDHIST PUBLICATION SOCIETY

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

BUDDHIST PUBLICATION SOCIETY

Postby jcsuperstar » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:40 am

For authentic literature on Buddhism
http://www.bps.lk/

anyone else a member? i joined a week or two ago, but havent got my member number yet... does it come via snail mail? i order from there quite regularly and thought, hmmm 20% off my orders sounds great.... especially since i think i'm gonna get all those wheel collections

i love BPS
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Re: BUDDHIST PUBLICATION SOCIETY

Postby retrofuturist » Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:51 am

Greetings,

jcsuperstar wrote:i love BPS

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Postby suanck » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:47 am

jcsuperstar wrote:For authentic literature on Buddhism
http://www.bps.lk/

anyone else a member? i joined a week or two ago, but havent got my member number yet... does it come via snail mail? i order from there quite regularly and thought, hmmm 20% off my orders sounds great.... especially since i think i'm gonna get all those wheel collections

I have been a member for many years, and have just renewed my subscriptiom. This time, I paid for 10-yr membership.

Suan
suanck

Postby cooran » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:30 am

As a result of your post JC, I also joined for 10 years. :group:

Thanks and metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby BlackBird » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:35 am

Here's an article on the current editor of the BPS, Venerable Nyanatusita, and a bit of background on the BPS also:

http://sundaytimes.lk/080518/Plus/plus000010.html

Great to hear everyone here helping propagate the Dhamma :D

metta & mudita
Jack
"For a disciple who has conviction in the Teacher's message & lives to penetrate it, what accords with the Dhamma is this:
'The Blessed One is the Teacher, I am a disciple. He is the one who knows, not I." - MN. 70 Kitagiri Sutta
BlackBird

Postby puthujjana » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:58 am

Hej JC,

jcsuperstar wrote:anyone else a member?

I'm a member since July this year :smile:

jcsuperstar wrote:i joined a week or two ago, but havent got my member number yet... does it come via snail mail?

Yes, it comes via snail mail. I've got a letter about 10 days after subscribtion, maybe it takes a little longer to Alaska.

You can also write them an email and ask for your membership number: bps@sltnet.lk

jcsuperstar wrote:especially since i think i'm gonna get all those wheel collections

They stopped sending the wheel but instead they will send you a bigger size book twice a year:

"Up to 2003 two English-language booklets were sent to members three times per year, the Wheel and Bodhi Leaves. From 2004 there has been a change in this distribution pattern. Twice a year standard size books are sent out instead of the smaller Wheels (A5). Moreover, we have terminated the publication of Bodhi Leaves (A6). However, Wheel booklets will still be issued when circumstances permit. Thus, members will receive two bigger size books in April and October every year." http://bps.lk/aboutus.asp

So, I received "The life of Nyanatiloka Thera" attached to my membership enrollment.

jcsuperstar wrote:i love BPS

I love them too :heart:

:anjali:
"Once you understand anatta, then the burden of life is gone. You’ll be at peace with the world. When we see beyond self, we no longer cling to happiness and we can truly be happy."
- Ajahn Chah
puthujjana

Postby cooran » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:51 am

Hello JC, all,

Today, my membership confirmation arrived from BPS by mail with the two books ~ 1. Similes of the Buddha and 2. The Life of Nyanatiloka Thera.
They had misspelled my name and my street, but it didn't seem to add any increased time to the delivery.

I'm very happy with the books and glad I joined for 10 years.

with metta and thanks,
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Return to General Theravāda discussion