Exact days of Uposatha?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Exact days of Uposatha?

Postby wanderlust » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:16 am

Hi I'm pretty new at this and have a few questions. Why are all of the Uposatha calendars different and would it be wise to just observe the 8 precepts on the exact dates they occur according to the astrological calendar for my specific time zone?

If yes, then say a full moon were to be at 1:00 AM. Would you have observed the precepts the day before or after the sun rises later in the day?

If no, which calendar should I use and why?

I'm just a bit confused and I would appreciate any help.

Thank you.
wanderlust

Re: Exact days of Uposatha?

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:44 am

Hi & welcome to Dhammawheel :anjali:

there are a few posts which go through this might be better to do a search (the search bar is found in the header) for the threads
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby mikenz66 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 am

Yes, see this thread:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 40&start=0

The authoritative answer for me is the dates marked on the Thai calendars that my Wat hands out towards the end of the year (which happen to be the Mahanikaya dates). As I see it, the exact dates are just a social convention so that everyone turns up on the same day, rather than a matter of astrology...

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Postby adosa » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Hello Wanderlust,

I wouldn't get hung up on the exact dates. There's nothing magical or superstitious about Buddhism. Any day is a good day to observe the Uposatha. If it helps to have a fixed schedule then so be it.

Peace,

adosa :smile:
"To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas" - Dhammapada 183
adosa

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:13 pm

This is a puzzle I have to work out every year when I publish My Calendar

If one follows the astronomical date and time precisely, there will sometimes be 16 days between Uposatha days, but there should be either 14 or 15 days. If the full moon in the UK is at 07:12 am on the 15th January should we observe the Uposatha day on the 14th or the 15th?

I suspect that the Forest Sangha calendars follow the Thai calendar dates, rather than adjusting for the location.

As noted above, it is not that important for lay people. Most of the temples I know of celebrate the Uposatha days on the nearest Sunday as that is more convenient for lay people.
AIM WebsitePāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Postby wanderlust » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:04 pm

Thank you, everyone.
wanderlust

Postby appicchato » Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:17 pm

The calendar linked below serves many well...

http://www.urbandharma.org/pdf/Amaravat ... r_2010.pdf
appicchato

Return to General Theravāda discussion