YOU CANNOT POST. OUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY DECIDED TO MOVE THE SERVER TO ANOTHER LOCATION. IN THE MEANTIME, YOU CAN VIEW THIS VERSION WHICH DOES NOT ALLOW POSTING AND WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING YOU DO ONCE THE OTHER SERVER GOES ONLINE.

Garuka kamma - Dhamma Wheel

Garuka kamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Dhammanucara

Garuka kamma

Postby Dhammanucara » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:55 am

I was discussing about kamma with my friends when we came to garuka kamma. As far as I know, those garuka kamma are: matricide, patricide, injuring the Buddha, killing an Arahant, and causing a schism in the Sangha, and if any of these is committed, one will definitely go down to Avici Hell in his next rebirth, and furthermore, one would not be at ease and thus is incapable of attaining magga-phala or arahantship. Thus, these garuka kamma are considered as the heaviest evil kamma, or in normal language, the most sinful kamma. Then, my friend said that why would killing a mother or father be more sinful than killing a hundred million people in the war, since the latter one is killing many potential enlightened ones, while the former one is merely killing one or two possible enlightened beings. I explained that it is because parents are those people whom we should be grateful to the most since they are the ones who give birth to us and raise us, but he retorted that I was merely generalizing and he raised up question such as what if those parents are abusive parents and merely treat their children as if they are their slaves, so do they fit to be honored like other parents? I was dumbfounded, to be honest,and was at a loss of how to reply him. Anyone knows how to explain this?

With metta,
Dhammanucara :namaste:

rowyourboat

Re: Garuka kamma

Postby rowyourboat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 am

they may be abusive, but that doesnt mean you need to kill them.. :thinking: you do your bit, look after yourself and move on, and perhaps later when you have the time and the space, sort out your issues about them through the practice of the dhamma (or any other means) because it is bad kamma and will block your progress to nibbana. I remember reading one sutta where the Buddha says that just because someone is older it doesnt mean they should be respected- that is based on their qualities as a person.
With Metta

Karuna
Mudita
& Upekkha

poto

Postby poto » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:37 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:48 pm

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Hunter

Postby Hunter » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 pm

the Buddha said :

"Intention, monks, is karma, I say. Having willed, one acts through body, speech and mind."

Dhammanucara

Postby Dhammanucara » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:42 am

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:42 am

My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: .

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:47 am

Dhammanucara

Postby Dhammanucara » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks very much Venerable! Yes, I do notice that trend of creating some hypothetical questions in order to find the loop holes. That was exactly what happened to me when I was discussing dhamma with my friend. He was not a Buddhist, so the idea of kamma does not really appeal him, what more garuka kamma.

Perhaps my explanation to him was not very accurate when he asked me which is worse- killing one's mother, or killing multiple people or a hundred million people. From what I understood, I told him the former is worse, because in my opinion, mother is the most benevolent and noble person to us, without her, we would not be able to see the beauty of this world, or even worse, without her, we wont be able to get this precious human body and have a chance to practice and realize the dhamma. Furthermore, every single mother who conceives us takes much pregnancy and labor pain for a total of 9 months, and if she does not love you, she wouldnt want to bear that kind of pain for 9 months and would just abort you off. So, no matter what, deep inside a mother's heart, she still loves you. It is maybe the approach is wrong or at the outer appearance, she appears to be cruel. Thus, to kill such a person who has done so much for you is definitely the most ungrateful thing to do, hence why it is said to be the most weighty-unwholesome kamma. But I was just being swept off for generalizing all mothers to be the same. :toilet:

On another separate question, if a mentally unsound person kills his mother (something which is quite common today), do we call this as garuka kamma as well? How about a person who is under alcohol influence? Will the case be the same too?

With metta,
Dhammanucara

Paññāsikhara

Postby Paññāsikhara » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:41 am

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”