Anatomy book or decay

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Anatomy book or decay

Postby altar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows a good anatomy book maybe even one that has live images? Or also a book on decay?
Hope this is the right forum.
Thanks,
Zack.
altar

Re: Anatomy book or decay

Postby Fede » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Is this for medical research, Human Biology study, or what?
maybe if we knew why you need it, we'd be able to be more specific in our assistance....

Many thanks! :hello: :coffee:
"Samsara: The human condition's heartbreaking inability to sustain contentment." Elizabeth Gilbert, 'Eat, Pray, Love'.

Simplify: 17 into 1 WILL go: Mindfulness!

Quieta movere magna merces videbatur. (Sallust, c.86-c.35 BC)
Translation: Just to stir things up seemed a good reward in itself. ;)

I am sooooo happy - How on earth could I be otherwise?! :D

http://www.armchairadvice.co.uk/relationships/forum/
Fede

Postby karuna_murti » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:54 pm

I assume you want to learn about asubha?
karuna_murti

Postby Moggalana » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:06 pm

This is pretty cool. Unfortunately it's not free: 3d body atlas
Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby Annapurna » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

The web is full of images like that.

Tackling desire with decay?
http://www.schmuckzauberei.blogspot.com/
Annapurna

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:46 pm

I have been looking at the Decomposition of the body recently and the Wiki article seams to have quite good and accurate information http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition
as for images
http://what-buddha-said.net/gallery/main.php
I know somewhere there are images may be on the daily drops instead though.
for general anatomy go to your book shop and have a look, I don't think there are any terable ones out there, but it would depend on the complexity of what you are looking for.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby altar » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:02 am

I have actually had a hard time finding images of decaying bodies, especially human ones, on the web.
Thanks for advice so far... I went to a Barnes and Noble once and had a look but didn't buy anything maybe I should go somewhere to look again.
altar

Postby bodom » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am

See this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1259

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:10 am

altar wrote:I have actually had a hard time finding images of decaying bodies, especially human ones, on the web.
Thanks for advice so far... I went to a Barnes and Noble once and had a look but didn't buy anything maybe I should go somewhere to look again.
While the contemplation of a decaying corpse might be useful, especially with a skilled teacher, photos do not really drive home the reality of it all. What is missing is the gawdawful stench.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby catmoon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:33 am

And of course one might peruse rotten.com if that is your cup of tea.
catmoon

Postby tiltbillings » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:43 am

catmoon wrote:And of course one might peruse rotten.com if that is your cup of tea.
One might try "somethingthecatdraggedin.net" for the truly disgusting.
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby SDC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:38 am

I am currently reading the 12th edition of "Anatomy and Physiology" by Tortora and Derrickson. Excellent so far.

My reason for reading this book is to see and understand the human being as an organism; an organism with complex construction and systems that automatically function and maintain themselves dependent on the presence of a variety of conditions. And also to see that when those conditions are no longer present in to the degree necessary, the organism begins to break down and stop functioning all together. Despite being only 40 pages in, the book is already helping to further reduced the possibility of being able to rationally accept the body and its processes as "mine" or "self". I will gladly give an update with greater detail when I finish the book.

EDIT - spelling
Last edited by SDC on Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDC

Postby chownah » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:34 pm

Just Google "decaying bodies".....do th is the regular way and also do it as an image search....
chownah
chownah

Postby notself » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:57 pm

altar wrote:Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows a good anatomy book maybe even one that has live images? Or also a book on decay?
Hope this is the right forum.
Thanks,
Zack.

Are you interested in decay in order to control lust or in order to contemplate impermanence? If you wish to contemplate impermanence then I suggest you volunteer with a hospice organization near you. You will interact with the dying and be performing an act of loving kindness.

If you wish to control lust then looking at images of decay while sitting next to a rotten potato or some spoiled raw beef should do the trick. :? :lol:
Though one may conquer a thousand times a thousand men in battle, yet he is indeed the noblest victor who conquers himself. ---Dhp 103
notself

Postby altar » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:08 pm

I found this searching: http://www.amazon.com/Autopsy-Life-Death-none/dp/B001O16SRI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266673322&sr=1-7
It's a dvd called Autopsy Life and Death by Dr. Gunther van Hagen the man who brought the BODIES exhibit. I think it is from a few English television shows he did and they are literal dissections of the body and life processes.
Does anyone know more about this than I do? I think I am going to order it.
altar

Postby Cittasanto » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:17 pm

altar wrote:I found this searching: http://www.amazon.com/Autopsy-Life-Death-none/dp/B001O16SRI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1266673322&sr=1-7
It's a dvd called Autopsy Life and Death by Dr. Gunther van Hagen the man who brought the BODIES exhibit. I think it is from a few English television shows he did and they are literal dissections of the body and life processes.
Does anyone know more about this than I do? I think I am going to order it.

I rememb er this being on TV, have a search of channel 4 for some more information.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion