Ven Sariputta and moggalana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Ven Sariputta and moggalana

Postby Dhammanucara » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:06 am

May I know when exactly did Ven Sariputta and Moggalana die or attain Mahaparinibbana? Is it when the Buddha was at the age of 40 or so? If you could provide me the quotation/reference, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

With metta,
Dhammanucara :namaste:
Dhammanucara

Re: Ven Sariputta and moggalana

Postby BlackBird » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:53 am

The Buddha would have been around 80 when his two chief disciples past on. They both entered paranibbana several months before The Buddha.

Here's two very good biographies of the chief disciples:
- The Life of Sariputta
- Maha-Moggallana

metta
Jack
"And so, because this Teaching is so different from what Westerners are accustomed to, they will try to adapt the Teaching to their own framework. What they need to learn to do is not to adapt the Teaching to their own point of view but to adapt their own point of view to the Teaching. This is called saddhá, or faith, and it means giving oneself to the Teaching even if the Teaching is contrary to one’s own preconceived notions of the way things are."- Ven Bodhesako

Nanavira Thera's teachings - An existential approach to the Dhamma | Ven. Bodhesako's essay on anicca
BlackBird

Re: Ven Sariputta and moggalana

Postby Bhikkhu Pesala » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:56 am

Ven. Sāriputta passed away a few months before the Buddha's parinibbāna: DPPN — Sāriputta

Ven. Moggallāna died before the Buddha, Sāriputta dying before them both. DPPN Mahāmoggallāna
AIM WebsiteMy ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Bhikkhu Pesala

Return to General Theravāda discussion