Wishing "were he dead 10 years ago..."

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Wishing "were he dead 10 years ago..."

Postby SamKR » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Hi everybody,

Recently a prominent leader in my country (Nepal) died. Many of Nepali people dislike the leader. But there are many die-hard supporters of him too. So we cannot absolutely say that he was a bad guy or a good guy.

Anyways, after he died I saw comments of rejoice in his death in Facebook . One of my friend (who is a Buddhist insight meditator) also posted the following status: " If he had died some 10 years ago ... nepal could have been in better place now."
I replied that I totally disagree with his view since I read somewhere on the web long ago that the Buddha opposed having such views or wishes (that somebody were dead). Unfortunately, I could not find that link to that website now. But he insists that there is nothing wrong on saying the bitter truth. I told him that although he may not have the intention of wishing his death, his message would imply (to common people) that he rejoices in his death.

Then we decided to post this message here so that we can discuss about what the Buddha taught in this matter. Could you please give your opinion if the view is wrong or right (on the basis of the Buddha's teaching), and why? We would appreciate if you could give some link to relevant articles on the Buddha's teaching.

SamKR
Last edited by SamKR on Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
SamKR

Re: Wishing "had he died some 10 years ago..."

Postby mikenz66 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:21 pm

Hi Sam,
SamKR wrote:But he insists that there is nothing wrong on saying the bitter truth.

I would draw a difference between "rejoicing" and "discussing what we think is true".

I don't see anything wrong with arguing that: "A lot less people would have died if Hitler hadn't become the leader of Germany, or Pol Pot the leader of Cambodia, or ..."

I do see a problem with holding ideas like: "May Hitler, Pol Pot, ... roast in hell for a long time..."

[PS, off topic really, but can you give us a link to the news?]

Metta
Mike
mikenz66

Re: Wishing "had he died some 10 years ago..."

Postby SamKR » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:35 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
[PS, off topic really, but can you give us a link to the news?]

Hi Mike, here are the related links:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8577669.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girija_Prasad_Koirala
SamKR