sort of Poll on Mindfulness - sati

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

sort of Poll on Mindfulness - sati

Postby Cittasanto » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:24 pm

in one word or phrase What is Mindfulness/sati for you?

-------
edit
can you explain what that means to you also!
Last edited by Cittasanto on Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: sort of Poll on Mindfulness - sati

Postby bodom » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 pm

For me, in one phrase, non judgemental bare awareness.

Bahiya Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Reductor » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:46 am

to make the present moment skillful

-- ie, arouse and balance the other six enlightenment factors
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Mukunda » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:40 am

Paying attention.
Mukunda

Postby ground » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:18 am

Manapa wrote:in one word or phrase What is Mindfulness/sati for you?

So the question actually is: Putting aside "right mindfulness" what is "mindfulness" according to your private understanding?

Kind regards
ground

Postby Sobeh » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:12 am

It doesn't matter what it means to me. It matters what it means.
Sobeh

Postby acinteyyo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 am

"remember the here and now" or "be aware here and now"

edit: after visiting wat muttodaya I have to add "presence of mind here and now"
Last edited by acinteyyo on Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pubbe cāhaṃ bhikkhave, etarahi ca dukkhañceva paññāpemi, dukkhassa ca nirodhaṃ. (M.22)
Both formerly, monks, and now, it is just suffering that I make known and the ending of suffering.
Pathabyā ekarajjena, saggassa gamanena vā sabbalokādhipaccena, sotāpattiphalaṃ varaṃ. (Dhp 178)
Sole dominion over the earth, going to heaven or lordship over all worlds: the fruit of stream-entry excels them.

acinteyyo

Postby PeterB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:57 am

bodom wrote:For me, in one phrase, non judgemental bare awareness.

Bahiya Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 am

:thumbsup:
Sobeh wrote:It doesn't matter what it means to me. It matters what it means.

Too right..... :anjali:
PeterB

Postby alan » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:17 am

Remembering to stay aware. The opposite of forgetfulness.
To avoid elevating Mindful into a one-word religion, I like to team him up with his buddies Ardent and Alert.
alan

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:45 pm

TMingyur wrote:

So the question actually is: Putting aside "right mindfulness" what is "mindfulness" according to your private understanding?

Kind regards

the question actually is what it is!
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 pm

the point of this thread is personal understanding of mindfulness, not academic meaning, i.e., how we understand and apply.
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby ground » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:51 am

Manapa wrote:
TMingyur wrote:

Kind regards

the question actually is what it is!

Being mindful asccording to MN10. Everything is contained therein.
So it is plain clear that mindfulness according to this convention means: listen/learn the meaning of the phenomena described therein, continue to be aware about these, watch and recognize them and their meaning when they arise. This is the "what to do". And the "how to do" is described as being detached from these phenomena and their meaning although judgement is involved. But since this judgement is "pure" analytical judgement there isn't any attachment involved here either.
The challenge may be to integrate the subject's perspective and the "objectivying" perspective.

___
-------
edit
can you explain what that means to you also!

Answer: see MN10. Explanation see above.

Kind regards
Last edited by ground on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ground

Postby Mukunda » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:26 am

Manapa wrote:

the point of this thread is personal understanding of mindfulness, not academic meaning, i.e., how we understand and apply.

Of course, it's a lot easier to have an academic understanding and quote something than it is to actually practice and therefore really know what it is. ;)
Mukunda

Postby ground » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 am

Manapa wrote:

What is "academic" meaning in comparison to "non-academic" meaning?
You are asking for concepts describing "personal understanding" and it can only by answered through applying concepts. But the "right concepts" are written elsewhere in the suttas.
How can you differentiate between concepts describing the meaning and concepts describing the application? There is no difference from the side of terms and terminology. It merely depends on your own capacity of understanding when you are reading terms and terminology. However some terms and terminology may not be "suitable" for you and therefore you may be inclinded to call them "academic".

Kind regards
ground

Postby bodom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:22 am

TMingyur wrote:
Manapa wrote:

What is "academic" meaning in comparison to "non-academic" meaning?
You are asking for concepts describing "personal understanding" and it can only by answered through applying concepts. But the "right concepts" are written elsewhere in the suttas.
How can you differentiate between concepts describing the meaning and concepts describing the application? There is no difference from the side of terms and terminology. It merely depends on your own capacity of understanding when you are reading terms and terminology. However some terms and terminology may not be "suitable" for you and therefore you may be inclinded to call them "academic".

Kind regards

No offense but I think you are making this alot more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it simple.
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby ground » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:33 am

bodom wrote:No offense but I think you are making this alot more complicated than it needs to be. Keep it simple.

Sorry, but I have just responded to the categorization of "academic" and the differentiation between "meaning" and "application" which has been suggested to be detectable in words. But this is off-topic, agreed.

As to "keep it simple" I have given the correct answer ("see MN10") above. This does comply with "keep it simple", doesn't it?

I agree however that to discuss the meaning of terms and terminology back and forth (although they are clearly explained in scripture) as it is often done in forums may be perceived as a common distractive attachment rather than a "keep it simple" approach.

Kind regards
ground

Postby Cittasanto » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:31 am

can the question be answered in one word or phrase, and your explanation of that word or phrase then?
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Cittasanto

Postby PeterB » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:15 am

Mukunda wrote:
Manapa wrote:

Of course, it's a lot easier to have an academic understanding and quote something than it is to actually practice and therefore really know what it is. ;)

Conversely, its easy to think we are practising something, but in fact we unwittingly do not share the consensus view of what it is we are doing. Particular in the mini Wat of our own shrine place.
PeterB

Postby bodom » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:33 pm

From When the Iron Eagle Flies by Ayya Khema:

No one can really teach us to be mindful. We teach ourselves, using landmarks and signposts. In our tradition we don't have gurus. We have people who reiterate the Buddha's words from the Pali canon and who may be able to give us some advice. Mindfulness can only be practiced and taught to oneself by oneself. Nobody can help us to be mindful; Only we know when we are.

Similarly from Mindfulness in Plain English by Bhante Gunaratana:

Mindfulness is the English translation of the Pali word Sati. Sati is an activity. What exactly is that? There can be no precise answer, at least not in words...Mindfulness could be described in completely different terms than will be used here and each description could still be correct...Mindfulness is an extremely difficult concept to define in words -- not because it is complex, but because it is too simple and open.

bodom

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion