International Institute of Abhidhamma

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

International Institute of Abhidhamma

Postby goldentara » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:45 pm

I was wondering if anyone here has had any direct experience with IIA? It sounds interesting and may be a feasible place for me to learn. Here is the link to the website: http://www.buddhistabhidhammainstitute.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=12&Itemid=26

Any info, good or bad, posted here or through PM will be much appreciated by me. Thanks in advance.
goldentara

Re: International Institute of Abhidhamma

Postby Paññāsikhara » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:29 am

I always think it must be very difficult for Burmese Buddhism to do anything on an "international" level, with the current political climate. Thus, I applaud any efforts that they can make in this area, even though they are often only small scale. Looking at that site, their "advisor" Sayadaw Dr. Ashin Nanissara is definitely an international level Buddhist scholar, I have met him once or twice before, I think, at international conferences. Other than that, I am not sure, but worth inquiring further about, I'd say.
My recently moved Blog, containing some of my writings on the Buddha Dhamma, as well as a number of translations from classical Buddhist texts and modern authors, liturgy, etc.: Huifeng's Prajnacara Blog.
Paññāsikhara

Re: International Institute of Abhidhamma

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:11 am

Paññāsikhara wrote:Looking at that site, their "advisor" Sayadaw Dr. Ashin Nanissara is definitely an international level Buddhist scholar, I have met him once or twice before, I think, at international conferences.

I met him once when he visited a friend/disciple of his here, and I don't think I hold any other in such high regard.

He is also involved in the international Buddhist Missionary university in Rangoon (I think it is there off the Top of my head,)and will mail a friend who I think has attended the Abhidhamma school.
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
With Metta
Upāsaka Cittasanto
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Return to General Theravāda discussion