Water Cup Offerings and Butsudans

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Water Cup Offerings and Butsudans

Postby theravada_guy » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:24 pm

Greetings all,

I was going over The Monastery Store's Web site, which is geared more towards Zen than Theravada, but I was just wondering if any Theravadins offer water in water cups and have their shrines in butsudans? Here are links to the products I am talking about:

Water offering cup:

http://www.dharma.net/monstore/product_ ... cts_id=587

Butsudan (Altar Cabinet):

http://www.dharma.net/monstore/product_ ... ts_id=2053

I know there would be nothing wrong with using these items, I'm just wondering if they're ever used in Theravada Buddhism, or is it mainly just Japanese schools?

Thanks!
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Re: Water Cup Offerings and Butsudans

Postby Kim OHara » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:25 am

If you want to know if they are ever used by Theravadins, you would need to ask someone who knows all the regional variations ... might be hard to find. :tongue:
More seriously, the butsudan looks nice ... any group that meets in a borrowed/multipurpose venue, or any individual who wants to keep some separation between 'sacred' space and the usual function of a room, could use one. And I know Tibetan groups use water bowls, but usually (AFAIK) a set of small bowls, not one fancier one.
Hope this helps.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim OHara

Postby Maitri » Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:58 am

That Butsudan is really expensive for its size. If you are looking for one, check out Nakayama Butsudans online. They have a wide range of styles and prices.
May all beings be well, happy, calm, and at ease.
Maitri

Postby Ben » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 am

Hi TG

Three or four years ago my wife came home from an antiques fair with an antique traveller's shrine. It is made of something like rosewood, stands 20cm high and it is roughly octagonal in shape and the two wings hinge open out to form a scene with the Buddha sitting in the middle, Mogallana and Sariputta to the sides of him and behind are a lot of people. It looks like its Japanese in origin. Friends and family members tend to give me Buddharupas as gifts and most of them are in my meditation/shrine room. If a Butsudan is something that is of interest to you or has some utility then why not use it?
metta

Ben
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global Relief

Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:16 am

Ben wrote:If a Butsudan is something that is of interest to you or has some utility then why not use it?

:goodpost:

If its inspiring to your practice then by all means use it. My main Buddharupa was a tibetan medicine buddha statue but I found no contradiction. Use what works for you whether its "theravadin" or "mahayana". The external paraphenalia is unimportant.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Tex » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:10 pm

Maitri wrote:check out Nakayama Butsudans online.

Many thanks, the lower end butsudans on there are beautiful and very reasonably priced.
"The serene and peaceful mind is the true epitome of human achievement."-- Ajahn Chah, Living Dhamma

"To reach beyond fear and danger we must sharpen and widen our vision. We have to pierce through the deceptions that lull us into a comfortable complacency, to take a straight look down into the depths of our existence, without turning away uneasily or running after distractions." -- Bhikkhu Bodhi
Tex

Postby Maitri » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:00 am

No problem! Hopefully you find something reasonable. Also the cup you listed is actually used for rice and not water. Water cups in butsudans typically look more like tea cups sometimes with a cover.

I have a water cup on my altar, sometimes for water sometimes with fresh tea. I just use a nice little cast iron teacup I got from Teavana.
May all beings be well, happy, calm, and at ease.
Maitri

Postby theravada_guy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:57 pm

Greetings all,

Thanks for your help!
With metta,

Justin
theravada_guy

Return to General Theravāda discussion