the great rebirth debate

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Ceisiwr

Re: the great rebirth debate

Post by Ceisiwr »

Alex123 wrote:
clw_uk wrote:merely as a man who found a way to live without dukkha and taught a system of mental and moral training towards that end.
I agree with cessation of suffering being the goal.

And that's all there is to it really

Based on that Buddha would have got certain facts wrong, but it doesn't matter at all and the goal stays the same :)
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Just as a side note

Which ones? Obviously physical ideas were also obsolete in his teachings. But, I like the quote.

In "De rerum natura" Lucretius also locates the sense in the sense organ itself. I think he makes reference to the eye if I remember correctly.
Alex123

Post by Alex123 »

clw_uk wrote:Just as a side note

Which ones? Obviously physical ideas were also obsolete in his teachings. But, I like the quote.

In "De rerum natura" Lucretius also locates the sense in the sense organ itself. I think he makes reference to the eye if I remember correctly.

That is the sad thing that in ancient suttas and VsM, the biology is on the level of knowledge of that time. No enlightenment there.
daverupa

Post by daverupa »

Considering the ayatanas as biological organic function is a fundamental misunderstanding. The point is the experience of the sense, and to this end the six senses are comprehensive spheres of experience, not biology.
  • "And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting oneself one protects others? By the pursuit, development, and cultivation of the four establishments of mindfulness. It is in such a way that by protecting oneself one protects others.

"And how is it, bhikkhus, that by protecting others one protects oneself? By patience, harmlessness, goodwill, and sympathy. It is in such a way that by protecting others one protects oneself.

- Sedaka Sutta [SN 47.19]
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Alex123 wrote:
clw_uk wrote:Just as a side note

That is the sad thing that in ancient suttas and VsM, the biology is on the level of knowledge of that time. No enlightenment there.

Why is it sad? I have no doubt it was progressive at the time when compared to 3000 B.C.

And once again I don't see the "enlightenment" of Dhamma as meaning omniscience.
Ron-The-Elder

Post by Ron-The-Elder »

Hi, clw_uk.

Yes. I have given that reality a lot of thought and wondered how we could still today look upon Sakumuni Buddha as enlightened. The reasoning and notion still lingers. Not quite sure what to do with it so far. But it lingers in my mind.

No doubt twenty-five hundred years from now folks will look at our greatest minds and wonder whey we thought they were so great. I guess it may have to do with "progress and not perfection". :shrug:
What Makes an Elder? :
A head of gray hairs doesn't mean one's an elder. Advanced in years, one's called an old fool.
But one in whom there is truth, restraint, rectitude, gentleness,self-control, he's called an elder, his impurities disgorged, enlightened.
-Dhammpada, 19, translated by Thanissaro Bhikkhu.
Dr. Dukkha

Post by Dr. Dukkha »

I've got something to pick your brain a little bit:
http://youtu.be/_FanhvXO9Pk

Sam Harris, a fellow atheist claims that there is no free will because everything we do or think is affected either by stimuli or through circumstances of birth. What do you think? How can there be kamma if we don't have free will. It makes great sense to me, but if anyone can disprove him, I'd love to hear.
"There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting."
culaavuso

Post by culaavuso »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:How can there be kamma if we don't have free will.
AN 6.38 describes an exchange where a brahman tells the Buddha that he holds a view that effectively denies free will.

Ethics in Buddhist Perspective by K. N. Jayatilleke discusses questions of free will in detail.
[url=http://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh175.pdf]Ethics in Buddhist Perspective[/url] by K. N. Jayatilleke wrote: As such, the Buddhist theory of causation seems to accept an element of indeterminacy in nature, which, in the case of human actions, manifests itself as the free will of the individual, which is conditioned but not totally determined by the factors that affect it.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Dr. Dukkha wrote:I've got something to pick your brain a little bit:
http://youtu.be/_FanhvXO9Pk

Sam Harris, a fellow atheist claims that there is no free will because everything we do or think is affected either by stimuli or through circumstances of birth. What do you think? How can there be kamma if we don't have free will. It makes great sense to me, but if anyone can disprove him, I'd love to hear.

The free will question is a vast entanglement of views. However it is more beneficial to have a view of having free will :)

"Of course we have free will, we have no choice" Christopher Hitchens ;)
acinteyyo

Post by acinteyyo »

daverupa wrote:Considering the ayatanas as biological organic function is a fundamental misunderstanding. The point is the experience of the sense, and to this end the six senses are comprehensive spheres of experience, not biology.
:goodpost:
Thag 1.20. Ajita - I do not fear death; nor do I long for life. I’ll lay down this body, aware and mindful.
Nehemia83

Rebirth

Post by Nehemia83 »

Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to buddhism so please excuse if the question might be a silly one. I am trying to learn here.

I am currently thinking about rebirth and reincarnation a lot. There is one point I am struggling a little bit with. The goal is to get out of cyclic existence because being caught in it and having to experience birth, ageing, and death endlessly is suffering, right?! But what I am wondering is that I don´t know about my previous lives, so right now I have no idea what happened in my last life or in other previous ones, so I am experiencing this life as it would be my first one. So if I do not have the feeling of being caught in endless rebirths there is no being aware of it. It seems a little bit like being a goldfish. Although he is trapped in a very small glass everytime he turns around everything seems new to him because of his limited memory. If I do not have the feeling of being caught in cyclic existence where is the point of trying to get out of it. Because even if I practice dharma in this life I won´t be aware of it in my next one right?

Thank you very much for your Input!
culaavuso

Re: Rebirth

Post by culaavuso »

Nehemia83 wrote:The goal is to get out of cyclic existence because being caught in it and having to experience birth, ageing, and death endlessly is suffering, right?!
The goal appears to be the cessation of stress here and now. This cessation of stress seems to entail the cessation of birth, aging, and death.
MN 141: Saccavibhaṅga Sutta wrote: Now what, friends, is the noble truth of stress? Birth is stressful, aging is stressful, death is stressful; sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair are stressful; not getting what is wanted is stressful.
And what, friends, is the noble truth of the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress? Just this very noble eightfold path: right view, right resolve, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.
SN 55.30: Licchavi Sutta wrote: The Dhamma is well-expounded by the Blessed One, to be seen here & now, timeless, inviting verification, pertinent, to be realized by the wise for themselves.
SN 22.86: Anurādha Sutta wrote: Both formerly & now, it is only stress that I describe, and the cessation of stress.
Nehemia83 wrote: If I do not have the feeling of being caught in cyclic existence where is the point of trying to get out of it. Because even if I practice dharma in this life I won´t be aware of it in my next one right?
MN 2: Sabbāsava Sutta wrote: This is how he attends inappropriately: 'Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what was I in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I be in the future?' Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the immediate present: 'Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where is it bound?'
He attends appropriately, This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the way leading to the cessation of stress.
MidGe

Post by MidGe »

Hello Nehemia83,

To answer your very specific question.

People differ in their abilities. Some, like Mozart was for instance, are really prodigy at composing music. These differences in abilities are attributed to activities in past lives. You probably also have "natural" abilities or ease in certain activities that might be difficult for some others. So, also, there is a lengthy and gradual accumulation of wisdom due to practice and study, that ultimately conditions, or act as circumstances, for the realisation of nibbana and the end of suffering for that stream of consciousness that is perceived as "I".

With metta
robertk

Post by robertk »

Your goldfish simile sums it up. Do you think the ignorance of a goldfish is desirable.
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

SN 12.46 wrote:Dwelling at Savatthi... Then a certain brahman went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, exchanged courteous greetings with him. After an exchange of friendly greetings & courtesies, he sat to one side. As he was sitting there he said to the Blessed One: "What now, Master Gotama: Is the one who acts the same one who experiences [the results of the act]?"

[The Buddha:] "[To say,] 'The one who acts is the same one who experiences,' is one extreme."

[The brahman:] "Then, Master Gotama, is the one who acts someone other than the one who experiences?"

[The Buddha:] "[To say,] 'The one who acts is someone other than the one who experiences,' is the second extreme. Avoiding both of these extremes, the Tathagata teaches the Dhamma by means of the middle: From ignorance as a requisite condition come fabrications. From fabrications as a requisite condition comes consciousness. From consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form. From name-&-form as a requisite condition come the six sense media. From the six sense media as a requisite condition comes contact. From contact as a requisite condition comes feeling. From feeling as a requisite condition comes craving. From craving as a requisite condition comes clinging/sustenance. From clinging/sustenance as a requisite condition comes becoming. From becoming as a requisite condition comes birth. From birth as a requisite condition, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair come into play. Such is the origination of this entire mass of stress & suffering.

"Now from the remainderless fading & cessation of that very ignorance comes the cessation of fabrications. From the cessation of fabrications comes the cessation of consciousness. From the cessation of consciousness comes the cessation of name-&-form. From the cessation of name-&-form comes the cessation of the six sense media. From the cessation of the six sense media comes the cessation of contact. From the cessation of contact comes the cessation of feeling. From the cessation of feeling comes the cessation of craving. From the cessation of craving comes the cessation of clinging/sustenance. From the cessation of clinging/sustenance comes the cessation of becoming. From the cessation of becoming comes the cessation of birth. From the cessation of birth, then aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair all cease. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of stress & suffering."

When this was said, the brahman said to the Blessed One: "Magnificent, Master Gotama! Magnificent! Just as if he were to place upright what was overturned, to reveal what was hidden, to point out the way to one who was lost, or to carry a lamp into the dark so that those with eyes could see forms, in the same way has Master Gotama — through many lines of reasoning — made the Dhamma clear. I go to Master Gotama for refuge, to the Dhamma, & to the community of monks. May Master Gotama remember me as a lay follower who has gone for refuge from this day forward, for life."
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa