What is your favourite version of the Dhammapada?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
jackson
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

What is your favourite version of the Dhammapada?

Postby jackson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm

I'm considering collecting different versions of the Dhammapada so I can compare translations and get a better feel for what the Pali is saying. The first translation of the Dhammapada that I bought was by Thomas Cleary, which I liked at the time in spite of Cleary's notes (which he chose to put in bold text bizarrely). I also believe that I have another version of the Dhammapada in Conze's " Buddhist scriptures. After that my mother picked me up a used version of the Dhammapada by P. Lal, which when I looked at it recently I was surprised at how different the translation was from the one I compared it against. I also had a translation that was part of a world religions set, which I glanced at but decided to donate to my local library, and most recently I picked up John Ross Carter and Mahinda Palihawadana's translation with commentary. Now I could be wrong, but this seems like a really good translation, although they've gone with a more literal translation over the poetic aspect of it. Anyway, I love the Dhammapada, especially the Carter Palihawadana version, and would love to hear what your favourite version is. Also I`m thinking of picking up the stories to go along with it, is there a version which I should get? I look forward to your replies.
Metta, :smile:
Jackson
"The heart of the path is quite easy. There’s no need to explain anything at length. Let go of love and hate and let things be. That’s all that I do in my own practice." - Ajahn Chah

retrofuturist
Site Admin
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1001

Re: What is your favourite version of the Dhammapada?

Postby retrofuturist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:56 pm

Greetings,

I like Buddharakkhita's translation, though I admit it's not perfect either.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html

You'll also find some interesting thoughts on different Dhammapada translations via this search: search.php?keywords=dhammapada&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Metta,
Retro. :)
If you have asked me of the origination of unease, then I shall explain it to you in accordance with my understanding:
Whatever various forms of unease there are in the world, They originate founded in encumbering accumulation. (Pārāyanavagga)

Exalted in mind, just open and clearly aware, the recluse trained in the ways of the sages:
One who is such, calmed and ever mindful, He has no sorrows! -- Udana IV, 7

Dharma Wheel (Mahayana / Vajrayana forum) -- Open flower ~ Open book (blog)

SDC

Postby SDC » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:00 am

Dhammapada

The only version I have ever read. Not to say its the best, but I really enjoyed it.

bodom
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 1006

Postby bodom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:29 am

Gil Fronsdals.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah

jcsuperstar

Postby jcsuperstar » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:37 am

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,

I like Buddharakkhita's translation, though I admit it's not perfect either.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html

You'll also find some interesting thoughts on different Dhammapada translations via this search: search.php?keywords=dhammapada&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Metta,
Retro. :)

i think thats the one i like, i'm to lazy to look right now :toilet:
i have a few translations, i wish i had thanissaro's though i believe its in my handful of leaves books so i might

the 1st dhamma book i ever read was some old horrible translation of the dhammapada and it shook my world view and it was all buddhism from there.
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat

plwk

Postby plwk » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:22 am

By the late Chief Reverend Dr K Sri Dhammananda, Maha Thera Nayaka of Malaysia and Singapore: The Dhammapada

Buddharakkhita's version is cool :anjali:
Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:51 pm

I like Eknath Easwaran's translation. He has a really nice 90 page introduction and a shorter introduction to each section. These intros are very clearly and succinctly written. I found them worth reading in and of themselves. But I liked his translation too.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”