Thinking

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sangyey
Which number is larger than 1000 and less than 1002: 6

Thinking

Postby sangyey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:56 pm

Does all thinking come from klesha or can thinking come from one of the three wholesome roots as well?

Thank you

Sobeh

Re: Thinking

Postby Sobeh » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:33 pm

My understanding is:

Mental, verbal, and bodily acts are either wholesome or unwholesome (or both). Thinking, if unwholesome, is klesha, it does not arise from klesha.

Nibbida

Postby Nibbida » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:46 pm

It seems the intention would be the critical factor. Thoughts of lovingkindness, compassion, generosity, etc. would not be from klesha. The incessant chatter in our minds could very well be from klesha.
"Dispositions of the mind, like limbs of the body, acquire strength by exercise." --Thomas Jefferson

Facebook Meditation Page: http://snurl.com/yoga9vipassana

sangyey

Postby sangyey » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:06 pm

Thank you. The reason that I ask besides just knowing for a general reason is because I spend a lot of time contemplating the teachings and was just curious if this would be considered klesha. Sometimes when I contemplate I get a little I guess you could say 'jumbled' up in my thinking but I think that this is due to trying to contemplate a bunch of different teachings around the same time. I think it's best if I just try to focus on one Dharma point and really get to the bottom of that instead of just jumping around contemplating many teachings.

Thank you though. It's good to know that intention has a lot to do with it.

Return to “General Theravāda discussion”