A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Re: Emptiness

Postby PeterB » Thu May 13, 2010 8:51 am

tut tut :lol:
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Thu May 13, 2010 9:53 am

tiltbillings wrote:
PeterB wrote:Its probably just me Tilt. The years spent on cushions listening to discourses on the" Seventeen Kinds of Emptiness " during my time in the Vajrayana have no doubt left their scars..

Well, the nice things about the 17 kinds of Emptiness is that they are all empty.

I have grown to dwell in aversion to that capital " E "...it has a whiff of papanca about it.. ;)
No doubt this indicates an area I need to work on. The Emptiness of the "e".
Sorry, I meant the emptiness of the "E"..
PeterB

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu May 13, 2010 3:11 pm

TMingyur wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:
TMingyur wrote:"Empty of whatever is not there" does this entail "impermanence" still being there?

To what would one ascribe the quality of impermanence?

To "something" which is identifiable and that which is "identifiable" as "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") may appear so based on the construction of "own being" of "this". Otherwise if there is no "own being" to what does "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") refer to?

Wow. Thats a heck of a question and neatly phrased too. What it brings me up against is that the ground or point from which one is looking is empty as well.
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Postby tiltbillings » Thu May 13, 2010 4:23 pm

m0rl0ck wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
To "something" which is identifiable and that which is "identifiable" as "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") may appear so based on the construction of "own being" of "this". Otherwise if there is no "own being" to what does "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") refer to?

Wow. Thats a heck of a question and neatly phrased too. What it brings me up against is that the ground or point from which one is looking is empty as well.
But is the question actually meaningful, or might there be an unstated assumption or three lurking there?
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.
"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby m0rl0ck » Thu May 13, 2010 8:06 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:
TMingyur wrote:

But is the question actually meaningful, or might there be an unstated assumption or three lurking there?

Its meaningful to me and has arisen i think partly because of my practice. In fact for a while it had me feeling a little pinned to the wall. Im also sure that assumptions unstated and maybe even unknown figure in. :)
"Even if you've read the whole Canon and can remember lots of teachings; even if you can explain them in poignant ways, with lots of people to respect you; even if you build a lot of monastery buildings, or can explain inconstancy, stress, and not-self in the most detailed fashion ... The only thing that serves your own true purpose is release from suffering.

"And you'll be able to gain release from suffering only when you know the one mind."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai ... eleft.html
m0rl0ck

Previous

Return to General Theravāda discussion