PeterB

Re: Emptiness

Post by PeterB »

tut tut :lol:
PeterB

Post by PeterB »

tiltbillings wrote:
PeterB wrote:Its probably just me Tilt. The years spent on cushions listening to discourses on the" Seventeen Kinds of Emptiness " during my time in the Vajrayana have no doubt left their scars..
Well, the nice things about the 17 kinds of Emptiness is that they are all empty.
I have grown to dwell in aversion to that capital " E "...it has a whiff of papanca about it.. ;)
No doubt this indicates an area I need to work on. The Emptiness of the "e".
Sorry, I meant the emptiness of the "E"..
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

TMingyur wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:
TMingyur wrote: "Empty of whatever is not there" does this entail "impermanence" still being there?
To what would one ascribe the quality of impermanence?
To "something" which is identifiable and that which is "identifiable" as "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") may appear so based on the construction of "own being" of "this". Otherwise if there is no "own being" to what does "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") refer to?
Wow. Thats a heck of a question and neatly phrased too. What it brings me up against is that the ground or point from which one is looking is empty as well.
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig
tiltbillings

Post by tiltbillings »

m0rl0ck wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
To "something" which is identifiable and that which is "identifiable" as "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") may appear so based on the construction of "own being" of "this". Otherwise if there is no "own being" to what does "this" (which is said to be "impermanent") refer to?
Wow. Thats a heck of a question and neatly phrased too. What it brings me up against is that the ground or point from which one is looking is empty as well.
But is the question actually meaningful, or might there be an unstated assumption or three lurking there?
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723
m0rl0ck

Post by m0rl0ck »

tiltbillings wrote:
m0rl0ck wrote:
TMingyur wrote:
But is the question actually meaningful, or might there be an unstated assumption or three lurking there?
Its meaningful to me and has arisen i think partly because of my practice. In fact for a while it had me feeling a little pinned to the wall. Im also sure that assumptions unstated and maybe even unknown figure in. :)
“The truth knocks on the door and you say, "Go away, I'm looking for the truth," and so it goes away. Puzzling.” ― Robert M. Pirsig