Nikaya Bindings?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Nikaya Bindings?

Postby Reductor » Tue May 11, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi there.

I have the three nikayas published by Wisdom, and they're good translations (as everyone knows). However, the bindings of my MN and SN seem to be of poor quality. What I want to know is if other people are having or have had trouble with the bindings of their editions.

The binding of SN, when it's laid flat, seems like its going to crack, and the MN binding, at the top of the book, has separated. I'll link pics to this post.

I am most concerned about getting years of use from these books. I bought them in 2005, and even then the SN binding seemed ready to crack. Admittedly I have not read them that much since the first purchase :embarassed: But I'm reading them a lot now, and would like to have them last for a few years into the future. So take a look and tell me if you think its something to worry about or not.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50078548@N03/4598635801/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/50078548@N03/4598639503/
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Re: Nikaya Bindings?

Postby bodom » Tue May 11, 2010 6:44 pm

I have the DN, MN, and SN which I purchased over three years ago and have no problems with the bindings myself, though I have heard of others having this problem.

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Cittasanto » Tue May 11, 2010 9:29 pm

bodom wrote:I have the DN, MN, and SN which I purchased over three years ago and have no problems with the bindings myself, though I have heard of others having this problem.

I have had no problems with mine either!

may just be a slight flaw or something? try to go to a book binders they may be able to help
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby tiltbillings » Tue May 11, 2010 10:37 pm

Manapa wrote:
bodom wrote:I have the DN, MN, and SN which I purchased over three years ago and have no problems with the bindings myself, though I have heard of others having this problem.

may just be a slight flaw or something? try to go to a book binders they may be able to help
A book binder is what I going to recommend. He or she would probably tell you that opening the book and laying it flat is hard on books. You may also want to try a bookstand for reading, something as this, which will not stress your bindings:

http://www.matchless-gifts.com/store/pr ... Books.html
Attachments
book_stand_01__82522[1].jpg
book_stand_01__82522[1].jpg (27.53 KiB) Viewed 573 times
This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond.
SN I, 38.

Ar scáth a chéile a mhaireas na daoine.
People live in one another’s shelter.

"We eat cold eels and think distant thoughts." -- Jack Johnson
tiltbillings

Postby Khalil Bodhi » Tue May 11, 2010 11:10 pm

tiltbillings wrote:
Manapa wrote:

A book binder is what I going to recommend. He or she would probably tell you that opening the book and laying it flat is hard on books. You may also want to try a bookstand for reading, something as this, which will not stress your bindings:

http://www.matchless-gifts.com/store/pr ... Books.html

Interestingly enough I own that exact book stand. I believe it's really made for reading the Quran (I got it from a Muslim site) but it's not too easy to use for read although it makes an attractive stand next to my shrine.

Metta.
To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas.
-Dhp. 183

Uposatha Observance Club:http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=148031379279&v=info
Kiva-Theravada Buddhists:http://www.kiva.org/team/theravada_buddhists
Dana on the Interwebs:
http://greatergood.com
http://freerice.com
Khalil Bodhi

Postby Ben » Wed May 12, 2010 2:56 am

Actually, you don't need to go to a bookbinder - you could do it yourself if you want to get the materials.
The year before last when I was working in a school library, one of my jobs was to fix books that were in worse state than yours.
If your books are relatively new, the first thing I would do would be to talk to the bookshop you bought the book from or the publisher.
You could also get some advice by taking them to your local library as they might have someone who can give you some hands-on advice.

What I used to do was to apply some pvc-based liquid adhesive between the spine and the back cover. We used to use (I think it was called "Melamine", an archival grade wood and paper glue, its white and takes about 20-30 minutes to set. You can also apply the glue in the cavity under the paper at the crease/hinge of the bookcover if the damage isn't too great. With melamine, you need to either put a weight on the book or wrap elastic bands around the binding to ensure that the surfaces you want glued are together.

I also used a strip of clear contact down the inside crease of the back cover. Also, sometimes on the outside of the cover running down the crease/hinge of the book-cover.
Your piece of contact should be at least 4cm wide and should be at least 8cm longer than the spine of the book. When you align the contact with the book, hold the contact strip vertically and align the centre line of the strip with the crease between the book cover and the first or last page. (Often its a stiffer, heavier paper or card). Lay the contact precisely. If you've never used contact before, it can be fiddly, sticky stuff. Now that you've got your stip of contact down, you've now got two 4cm strips at either end. You need to trim part of this excess contact, but not all. With one of the strips, use scissors to cut down the centre line until you reach the crease of the book-cover. Then make a horizontal cut trimming the excess contact above the page , taking care not to lop off the strip above the book cover itself. Now you have a strip of contact 2cm wide and four cm long above the bookcover. Take the strip and applying a little bit of pull, wrap it over the outside of the bookcover. Then do the same for the other end of the book.

My apologies for the mangled instructions!
kind regards

Ben
Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.

Taṃ nadīhi vijānātha:
sobbhesu padaresu ca,
saṇantā yanti kusobbhā,
tuṇhīyanti mahodadhī.

Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby Cittasanto » Wed May 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi Ben,
That is interesting never thought about a library being a good place to get a book repaired (unless it was one of the massive ones, such as in a museum) but your instructions did remind me there are a few instructions of how to bind a book, and i would imaging repair a damaged one, on the instructables website, I have been tempted to have a go at binding some sheets myself but never got round to it, and I will get a link in a min
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Postby Cittasanto » Wed May 12, 2010 3:00 pm

http://www.instructables.com/id/Repair- ... rebinding/

there are other links to the left that may be more suitable
Cittasanto

Postby Reductor » Wed May 12, 2010 6:20 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm glad that this binding problem doesn't seem to be widespread. It does suggest that there is something specific to myself or living conditions that are contributing to the breakdown of the binding. Do you think an overly warm apartment would do that? I Dunno.

Tilt, thanks for the suggestion about the book stand, but I don't recall setting my books flat very often, as I usually sit them on my lap while sitting meditation. This is mostly because I really don't want to stress the SN binding. And can you believe that this little town doesn't have a single book binder in business? Not even in the library!

Good grief.

So your instructions, Ben, will likely find use, as will the link you provided Manapa. Thanks guys.

Have a good day everyone.
Michael

The thoughts I've expressed in the above post are carefully considered and offered in good faith.

And friendliness towards the world is happiness for him who is forbearing with living beings. -- Ud. 2:1
To his own ruin the fool gains knowledge, for it cleaves his head and destroys his innate goodness. -- Dhp 72

Reductor

Postby Reductor » Tue May 18, 2010 5:06 pm

Bad news, everyone!

...er, wait. No... Good news, everyone!

I spoke with the sales director of Wisdom Pub, Mr. Pema, and he's offered to replace the Nikayas free of charge. It appears that this breakdown is indeed an uncommon occurrence and so it warrants an appropriate response.

So, that's good.
Michael

Reductor

Postby bodom » Tue May 18, 2010 7:03 pm

thereductor wrote:Bad news, everyone!

...er, wait. No... Good news, everyone!

I spoke with the sales director of Wisdom Pub, Mr. Pema, and he's offered to replace the Nikayas free of charge. It appears that this breakdown is indeed an uncommon occurrence and so it warrants an appropriate response.

So, that's good.

Wow thats great! Good for you!

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Return to General Theravāda discussion