ajahn sing

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

ajahn sing

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon May 31, 2010 8:39 am

he was a student of ajahn mun, a tudong monk, i dont know much else, that's why i'm here anyone have any info on him? i know he wrote a book on meditation, but little else...

any help is appreciated!
metta
jc :anjali:
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Re: ajahn sing

Postby cooran » Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 am

Hello JC,

I don't know much about him. There is a Photo of him here:
http://www.vimutti.org.nz/lineage.php

Mention of him here:
Luang Pho Waen was born on 16 February 1883 (BE 2431) in Tambon Na Pong, Mueang District of Loei, Northeast (Isan) of Thailand to a blacksmith's family. He was named Yarn and had one elder sister. He ordained as a novice in 1892 at Wat Bodhi Chai in Na Pong at the age of nine to fulfill the wish of his mother when she died while he was five years old. At the age of 13, he became a Naen (novice monk) at Wat Poh Chai, Loei province. He studied with a number of teachers and later ordained as a monk at a temple in Hua Taparn District of Ubon Ratchathani at the age of 21.
As a novice monk, he studied the Dharma and Pali, even at that young age he showed exceptional ability. He eventually went Thudong (forest monk) with his teacher, Ajahn Wuhan, travelling from Loei to Ubon Ratchathani, where he remained to learn Dhamma from another teacher, Ajahn Sing.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=au

And (perhaps ?) another mention here:
The Relics of Saints
In the display case stand urns containing the relics of Venerable Ajahn Sao Kantasilo Mahathera, Venerable Ajahn Mun, and Venerable Acariya Sing Khatayakhamo of Wat Pa Salawan. There also are pictures of the Elder Meditation Masters who followed them in the forest meditation tradition. These include: Venerable Acariya Waen Suchinno, Venerable Acariya Khao Analayo [1], Venerable Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo of Wat Asokaram, and Venerable Ajahn Fun Ajaro.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wat_Pa_Ban_Tat

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby jcsuperstar » Mon May 31, 2010 9:21 am

yeah that's him.
he a hard guy to find any real information on. his book was titled trisaranakhom
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby gavesako » Mon May 31, 2010 11:37 am

He was appointed by Ajahn Mun to look after his "Dhamma Army" (i.e. the forest monks) in Isaan while Ajahn Mun himself "fled" to Chiang Mai. He wasn't as charismatic probably but could at least keep the group together.
Bhikkhu Gavesako
Kiṃkusalagavesī anuttaraṃ santivarapadaṃ pariyesamāno... (MN 26)

ajahnchah.org - Teachings of Ajahn Chah in many languages
Dhammatube - Videos on Buddhist practice
Ancient Buddhist Texts - Translations and history of Pali texts
gavesako

Return to General Theravāda discussion