Exorcism of Evil Spirit

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Exorcism of Evil Spirit

Postby Goedert » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Hello friends,

I across a video at youtube, where Theravadin monks is doing a kind of Exorcism.

Maybe metta didn't work...
Goedert

Re: Exorcism of Evil Spirit

Postby bodom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:06 pm

Excorcism or wet t shirt contest? :jumping:

Seriously though what has modern day Buddhism become?

:anjali:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby Ben » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:18 pm

That was a bit of a let down, no pea-soup spew!
Now here's an excorcism...

and more...

Just a word of advice...
If you feel like the spiderwalk is coming on - its time to for some vipassana.
"One cannot step twice into the same river, nor can one grasp any mortal substance in a stable condition, but it scatters and again gathers; it forms and dissolves, and approaches and departs."

- Hereclitus

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR
Buddhist Life Stories of Australia

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com
Ben
Site Admin

Postby bodom » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:22 pm

HAHA Ben! Your right, now that's an excorcism!

The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Postby cooran » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:51 pm

Hello Goedert, all,

Miraculous Power What Buddhists Believe by Venerable K. Sri Dhammananda Maha Thera

The Buddha knew of the power that could be developed by training the human mind. He also knew that His disciples could acquire such powers through mental development. Thus the Buddha advised them not to exercise such psychic power in order to convert less intelligent people. He was referring to the 'miraculous' power to walk on water, to exorcise spirits, raise the dead and perform the so-called supernormal practices. He was also referring to the 'miracles of prophesy' such as thought-reading, soothe-saying, fortune-telling, and so on. When the uneducated believers see the performance of such powers, their faith deepens. But the nominal converts who are attracted to a religion because of these powers embrace a faith, not because they realize the truth, but because they harbor hallucinations. Besides, some people may pass remarks that these miracles are due to certain charms. In drawing people to listen to the Dhamma, the Buddha appealed to their reasoning power.
http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/wh ... iev/31.htm

The development of the Amulet belief in Thailand is an example of "charms".

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby plwk » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:55 am

Bhikkhus, if you develop and make much this one thing,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.
What is it? It is recollecting the Enlightened One.
If this single thing is recollected and made much,
it invariably leads to weariness, cessation, appeasement, realization and extinction.

Anguttara-Nikaya: Ekanipata: Ekadhammapali: Pañhamavagga
VSM VMM WBB TBHT WTBT My Page
plwk

Postby jcsuperstar » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:19 am

plwk wrote:Ratana Sutta

i was gonna bring that up...
สัพเพ สัตตา สุขีตา โหนตุ

the mountain may be heavy in and of itself, but if you're not trying to carry it it's not heavy to you- Ajaan Suwat
jcsuperstar

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Yeah.....this is the kinds of stuff that pulls away from the healthy philosophical core of Buddhism and runs right into the unhealthy superstition of religion.
Thaibebop

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Well of course the difference is the Buddha knew how to take common beliefs of his day and use them as starting points to render his listeners more likely to be open to his actual message.
PeterB

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:03 pm

PeterB wrote:Well of course the difference is the Buddha knew how to take common beliefs of his day and use them as starting points to render his listeners more likely to be open to his actual message.

This has nothing to do with the teaching tactics of the Buddha, I believe. As Buddhism moved throughout Asia local beliefs were incorporated into Buddhism. I think many of the practices of Thai lay Buddhist have more connection with older Thai beliefs then Buddhism. There have been many Thai monks who have disagreed with many lay practices for just this reason.
Thaibebop

Postby Moggalana » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:05 pm

Let it come. Let it be. Let it go.
Moggalana

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Yes Luang Por Chah was an expert psychotherapist. Of course if it had been a person educated along western lines he would have used different means.
PeterB

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Thaibebop wrote:
PeterB wrote:Well of course the difference is the Buddha knew how to take common beliefs of his day and use them as starting points to render his listeners more likely to be open to his actual message.

This has nothing to do with the teaching tactics of the Buddha, I believe. As Buddhism moved throughout Asia local beliefs were incorporated into Buddhism. I think many of the practices of Thai lay Buddhist have more connection with older Thai beliefs then Buddhism. There have been many Thai monks who have disagreed with many lay practices for just this reason.

There is not a contradiction here necessarily. The Buddha utlised the existing belief systems of his day to liberate people from belief systems.
PeterB

Postby Mukunda » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:14 pm

Interesting. When western converts to Buddhadhamma see life long practioners, born into the tradition, doing something they don't understand or approve of, it's the people who've lived the tradition for centuries who are wrong, or superstitious. We never stop for even a minute to consider that just maybe we don't know as much as we think we do. :thinking:
Mukunda

Postby Thaibebop » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:16 pm

Moggalana wrote:Ajahn Chah - The Exorcist :thumbsup:

Yes, very clever. I am working through Food for the Heart right now and am finding him very smart about humans and our behavior.
Thaibebop

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:38 pm

Mukunda wrote:Interesting. When western converts to Buddhadhamma see life long practioners, born into the tradition, doing something they don't understand or approve of, it's the people who've lived the tradition for centuries who are wrong, or superstitious. We never stop for even a minute to consider that just maybe we don't know as much as we think we do. :thinking:

Its not necessary to speak of wrong or superstitious, they are though operating within a different paradigm.
I have worked with people who are distressed and depressed and hysterical,for many years. I have never seen anyone whose behaviour could not be explained by far more simple and straightforward means than possession. Its just not a model that is needed in our culture.
PeterB

Postby Mukunda » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:50 pm

PeterB wrote:I have never seen anyone whose behaviour could not be explained by far more simple and straightforward means than possession. Its just not a model that is needed in our culture.

So does that mean that everyone who may demonstrate such symptoms are always cured by more "simple and straightforward means"? Seems to me drugs are often a crap shoot, and many times have serious side effects. Counseling and other therapies may take months or years to be effective (or may not be at all). So who's really being more "simple and straightforward"? :thinking:
Mukunda

Postby cooran » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:01 pm

Mukunda wrote:Interesting. When western converts to Buddhadhamma see life long practioners, born into the tradition, doing something they don't understand or approve of, it's the people who've lived the tradition for centuries who are wrong, or superstitious. We never stop for even a minute to consider that just maybe we don't know as much as we think we do. :thinking:

Well said Mukunda. The Buddha taught of other realms and other beings. It is comforting to explain it all away as "everyone back then was rather simple minded and not as intelligent as we advanced beings today, so he had to use childish explanations not to upset them."

with metta
Chris
---The trouble is that you think you have time---
---Worry is the Interest, paid in advance, on a debt you may never owe---
---It's not what happens to you in life that is important ~ it's what you do with it ---
cooran

Postby PeterB » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:24 pm

I dont think that I said anything that could be interpreted that way.. I said that there are a number of paradigms here which are consistant to themselves but not necessarily compatible to each other.
Neither did I say that a straightforward explanation of the causes of psychological distress implies that such distress is necessarily easily relieved.
PeterB

Postby Mukunda » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:32 pm

PeterB wrote:Neither did I say that a straightforward explanation of the causes of psychological distress implies that such distress is necessarily easily relieved.

My point is, I don't think things are as straightforward as we'd like to believe they are. And thinking they are is just another form of belief and superstition.
Mukunda

Next

Return to General Theravāda discussion