Exorcism of Evil Spirit

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
oceanmen

Re: Exorcism of Evil Spirit

Post by oceanmen »

when we insist to judge, what we refuse to accept/understand, as "superstitious" without keeping an open mind to further investigate its connection to reality,
and when we insist to judge what we accept to accept/understand as "reality" without keeping an open mind to further investigate its connection to reality,
....we might deviate from reality/truth, hereby coming closer to illusions and facilitating the ego to expand!!
Ben

Post by Ben »

I think you all need a dose of Richard Dawkins

“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

Ben wrote:I think you all need a dose of Richard Dawkins

I really enjoy Dawkins. I also feel that at the core Buddhism is a highly practical secular philosophy for self discipline and cultivation which should be studied and look at as such, while leaving the superstition out of it. I think everyone would benefit from this more than have water dumped over their heads and screaming.....unless of course they needed a bath then the water would be useful.
Ben

Post by Ben »

I couldn't agree more Thaibebop!
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
suriyopama

Post by suriyopama »

Maybe that splash of cold water had the same (or better, healthier and faster) effect on that woman as a long western style psychiatrician therapy with chemical drugs. Like the Ajahn Chah Exorcist story. Who knows :smile:
Thaibebop

Post by Thaibebop »

I just came across this talk by Ajahn Brahm on superstitions. I thought it was in line with this thread so I thought I would share.