Aspiration, Vows and Choice

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Nicholas Weeks

Re: Aspiration, Vows and Choice

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

I believe we should aspire to whatever we want to.

Here is Jeffrey Samuels from an old article:
In the Sampasaadaniiyasutta of the Diigha Nikaaya, for instance, Saariputta is professed to have said: "In the presence of the Exalted One have I heard him say and from him have received, that... in times gone by and in future times there have been, and will be other Supreme Buddhas equal to himself [i.e., Gotama] in the matter of Enlightenment." Thus, no longer is the term "bodhisattva" used solely in conjunction with Gotama, with other past buddhas, and with Maitreya; the bodhisattva-yaana is regarded as a possible, albeit difficult, path open to anyone who desires buddhahood.
Why say this if Arahants were all he wanted his Dhamma to produce?

Some more from Ven. Rahula: http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/ebdha126.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

The Buddha wanted all those he taught to realise nibbana for themselves in the here and now. He wanted us to get out of samsara now, not practice to spend more time in it, I dont believe that he taught that way.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ngawang Drolma.

Post by Ngawang Drolma. »

clw_uk wrote:The Buddha wanted all those he taught to realise nibbana for themselves in the here and now. He wanted us to get out of samsara now, not practice to spend more time in it, I dont believe that he taught that way.
I am so fond of this reminder. Thank you :namaste:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Your most welcome :namaste:
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”