Useful Mahayana sutras to a Theravada practitioner

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism

Useful Mahayana sutras to a Theravada practitioner

Postby bodom » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Just curious as to which and or if any Mahayana sutras have been useful to your practice? For myself i have the found the Platform, Diamond and Heart sutras enlightening. Mods im not sure if this topic is suitable here, if not please move. Thanks!

:namaste:
The heart of the path is SO simple. No need for long explanations. Give up clinging to love and hate, just rest with things as they are. That is all I do in my own practice. Do not try to become anything. Do not make yourself into anything. Do not be a meditator. Do not become enlightened. When you sit, let it be. When you walk, let it be. Grasp at nothing. Resist nothing. Of course, there are dozens of meditation techniques to develop samadhi and many kinds of vipassana. But it all comes back to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. - Ajahn Chah
bodom

Re: Useful Mahayana sutras to a Theravada practitioner

Postby Cittasanto » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:34 pm

I don't know if it is a sutra precisely but the eight verses for training the mind
here are my thoughts on the teaching http://manapa.multiply.com/journal/item ... g_the_Mind
This offering maybe right, or wrong, but it is one, the other, both, or neither!
Blog, - Some Suttas Translated, Ajahn Chah.
"Others will misconstrue reality due to their personal perspectives, doggedly holding onto and not easily discarding them; We shall not misconstrue reality due to our own personal perspectives, nor doggedly holding onto them, but will discard them easily. This effacement shall be done."
Cittasanto

Re: Useful Mahayana sutras to a Theravada practitioner

Postby Individual » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:25 pm

bodom_bad_boy wrote:Just curious as to which and or if any Mahayana sutras have been useful to your practice? For myself i have the found the Platform, Diamond and Heart sutras enlightening. Mods im not sure if this topic is suitable here, if not please move. Thanks!

:namaste:

Diamond Sutra, Heart Sutra, Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra, and the Platform Sutra.

Lankavatara Sutra is probably good too.
The best things in life aren't things.

The Diamond Sutra
Individual

Return to General Theravāda discussion